Poultry Predator Identification

lost a second one while she was out free ranging, getting a trap, something tried to pull her into it's den in the ground out in the pasture, all we found were the legs 1 wing and a bunch of feathers neatly piled around the entrance. can't see inside the den but it's kinda a flattened oval about 3 or 4 inches tall and 7 or 8 inches width

I have lost 4 hens in two days. I have one injured hen. I didn't even notice the first two. I did a head count last night when I realized one of my little Ameraucanas was missing. It is a daytime predator taking them while they free range. I heard a very strange noise at dark thirty last night and think it might be a bobcat. I only found feather patches for one Cream Legbar in the woods. No trace of the others. All of these hens are on the small side. None of the bigger hens are missing.

Yep, gave that some thought earlier, Really hate to even think that someone could have done it intentionally but had to consider it. I have a neighbor that threatened to deliver my Dogo/American Bull dog's head on a platter if he ever finds him in his yard. My dogs are kenneled or in the house never lose ever and has never been over in his yard. He is in the middle of two people that would encourage the ducks to their house via the creek and our ordinance allows water foul to come and go as they please. The trip up and down the creek was their daily ritual. So it gave me pause for thought. Weasels have never been seen in this particular area but it is definitely a possibility.
At any rate it's a done deal and I don't give much concern. Coup is fortified and lit up putting some electric around the bottom at night so all I can do is done. The rest is up to mother nature.

Last edited:
I forgot to latch my coop the other night and something got in and got 7 of my hens. I feel horrible! We had 13 total. It was like a bloody massacre. None were in the coop, 2 were dead outside untouched, one was mutilated near horses about 10 yards away, another was quite a distance away on the other side of property line. 3 bodies we never found, we scoured our 5 Acres and the neighbors and only found a few feathers. I think bobcat or fox. I bought a cross bow the next day out of anger and I WILL have my revenge. Put a dead chicken in the coop with gate open and the rest of chickens in a crate in house. Ran a wire from gate to office about 30 yards away, so can pull gate closed and trap predator and so far after 2 nights of a stake out nothing has shown it's face. I'm prepared for night 3 tonight. My poor babies seem shell shocked, the survivors we found hiding in the bushes, they didnt even want to come out for me. My brown leghorn disnt show up till almost noon, have no idea where she had been. One barred rock has a wound on her side and not sure she will survive. She's still alive after 2 days. They are all going to have PTSD :(

Back
Top Bottom