Poultry Predator Identification

Can anyone help with predator identification? We live in Central Florida. Something got into our duck enclosure and killed one of our Pekins. The culprit had to have entered by squeezing through a gap in the door frame of about 2 to 3 inches. The duck''s head and neck apear to be bloodied but are in tact. The tail and back end are missing. There are only a few feathers laying around--which could be due to molting. No blood or organs in the enclosure. The remaining 4 ducks are uninjured. I have a photo of the remains that I can send privately if necessary for predator identification.

MrsMuffin, I'm thinking a possum or raccoon. Many creatures could enter through that size of a gap. Definitely secure the door as the predator has found a nice source for dinner and it will unfortunately return for more.

Best wishes,
Ed

ETA: Inspect the rest of the coop for any deficiencies in it's security.

Last edited:
Excellent, MrsMuffin! The tighter the better in the perimeter fencing. Years ago I was first introduced to a possum's ability to go through small areas when I came upon a *very* large one in our open garage. The possum saw me about the time I saw it and it was hurrying to get out of the garage. There was a small metal gas exhaust vent fitting like you would use with a hotwater heater or clothes dryer laying on the floor from a project I was working on. This vent had a large "funnel" end to it but narrowed down to hole something like 3 inches in diameter. When this fat possum came to this obstacle I expected it to quickly go around it. But, without hesitation the possum stuck his head into the fitting. I immediately panicked thinking that now I was going to have a big possum with it's head stuck in the fitting. But, that possum seemed to become fluid and simply pour through that small hole with little or no resistance...it didn't slow it down a bit!!! I was amazed at what I saw and now I know that these creatures can slip through some of the smallest openings with little trouble.

You are doing well to tighten things up. That will be effort well rewarded!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas!!!
Ed

Thank you for the good advice - This is very helpful. I live in a subdivision in Central Florida with a privacy fenced back yard. In the past couple of days, I've had a neighborhood cat checking out my four girls. They are about 20 weeks old: 2 BRs and 2 RIRs. My son found the cat next to the hen house this morning, and yesterday, it scared my girls when they were in their portable run. Both areas are covered and the cat cannot get in, but we do allow the girls an hour or so to free-range in the evening, and we are usually out there with them. Bottom line: I'm hoping the cat is just curious, but don't trust it. Any ideas on the best way to discourage this cat from coming in the yard? My three poodles have scared it off, but they are not allowed out when the chickens are out.

What did this to my baby? It happened during the day inside the run.

No holes in the fence or under it. There is a tree in the center to provide shade during the scorching summer heat... I'm devastated.

What did this to my baby? It happened during the day inside the run.

No holes in the fence or under it. There is a tree in the center to provide shade during the scorching summer heat... I'm devastated.

HOW DO I GET RID OF IT OR KILL IT?

I thought a hawk would carry her off... Why did it eat only her insides? Her gizzard was laying next to her... She must have been so scared. :he

I thought a hawk would carry her off... Why did it eat only her insides? Her gizzard was laying next to her... She must have been so scared. :he

Sometimes a hawk will not be able to carry a full grown chicken so they eat what they can until they get scared. One time a hawk did that to mine, then another time took a head right off. Best thing that helped me with hawks was getting a goose. Whenever a hawk gets near my goose gets all the chickens and ducks inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom