Poultry Predator Identification

Cats - both feral and domestic - will eat entire chicks and ducklings, but leave the wings and feathers of growing birds. If a cat kills a mature duck or chicken, it will eat the meatier parts and leave the skin and feathers scattered around.

Ok, I've had my chickens 2 years without one single predator problem, and this week I lost 5 two month old Salmon Faverolles. Then I lost a 2 month old Guinea today. I couldn't figure out what it was, but after reading this think it was our barn cat. She hangs out underneath our coop, and today I noticed a bunch of feathers and what appears to be skin under there. She also left behind 2 hearts and a bunch of feet and wings after the first attack.

I just want to make sure that it really could be her first before I send her to kitty heaven. There is no mention of leaving behind the feet and the occasional heart. It's still hard to believe she could eat all of that meat! Could it really be my cat??

Thanks!​

Last edited:
Hi all-

I recently had my first starter flock wiped out. 2 lost while ranging, another while ranging and last night 3 more- in the coop. I just built the coop and had not yet put wire mesh between the ext walls and roof (about 2 1/2 inches. I came in and found the remaining 3 (nearly full grown) birds dead. 2 with the heads off, and one with the head off and chest split and eaten to the ribs. I found the point of entry and saw some light scratch marks, and some reddish long fur. Nothing but saplings around to get on top of the nesting box to attempt to gain this access.

Next to one of the dead birds I found a pretty large pile of excrement. What are your opinions on what could have gotten in the coop and mauled them? Mink? Raccoon? I did see an orange Cat out there tonight when I set a live trap to capture whatever is causing the carnage... the kids are devastated..

Can anyone help? The pile of poop looked bigger than any cat poop I have ever seen, we have 3 cats that never bat an eye to the chickens...

We had a mystery killed bird found last night. We have an enclosed pen that is covered with no entry points. I put the birds in for the night as always. One of the birds--who was timid..was with another bird going back into the coop for the night. I noticed that the larger of the two birds pecked the timid one..and that was always the case. The timid bird was getting an occasional peck--but not enough to cause blood to be shed--by other birds in the flock. I closed the gate, and went home. This morning, I go to let the birds out, and see an dead carcass lying on the ground. I look inside and see feathers scattered about inside. I wonder--how did that happen? Was it the raccoon that we saw weeks ago hanging around the coop, and if so, how did it get in when there was no entry point? Could it have been the flock that attacked the bird? I find it hard to believe it was the flock. I think the raccoon did it. I know coons are clever. I am wondering if the creature made a home in the upper level and crawled through the egg laying boxes. We have a wooden floor in the hen house.

This was very upsetting to me, as we got to know this bird as Micro--the smallest bird of the flock and with the simplest mind. She was a cute but not so smart bird who had a routine everyday where we would let the flock out and she would go back to the coop and later start crying that everyone was gone--forgetting that she was the one who chose to go back by herself. She was probably the cutest bird of the flock because of her smaller size and small head. She had a low rumply voice which made her more endearing. RIP little Micro.
sad.png

Great article! I would also like to add more reasons why ducklings go missing: Large fish (like bass), turtles and herons.

Also, cats will sometimes only bite the heads off of chicks and leave the rest behind, especially domestic cats who are well fed. I hear owls will sometimes do the same thing to adult chickens, too.

Back
Top Bottom