Poults are fighting

I can't wait till my male starts to gobble. My neighbor has some and I find it cute. I realize that they can be really protective too bc the other day a vulture landed by the flock and one of the turkeys chased it away. It was rlly amazing, especially considering the difference in sizes. My guys are still smaller than the chickens.

Mine don't stop gobbling, it can be noisy, I have 5 mature toms, 10 mature hens and 4 poults. They are a noisy bunch.

I think my shed is 12x15, my run is about 20x100, rough guess, and they free range during the day for a while. We have a couple extra and will eventually butcher a few toms, but no rush at the moment.

Hi, I

have a hen and a tom - at least pretty darned sure of the sex on the hen, has only exhibited hen characteristics until now. They are both Bronze turkeys - bought & raised together and just over 3 months old. Just started occasionally fighting two days ago. Scarlett will get close to Henry & "say" what must be some pretty nagging wife stuff to him (that's my daughter's explanation), as the more she talks (trills that we've not heard from her before), the more puffed up & ticked off he gets. Then they jump at each other then he slaps her around. I've been able to separate them each time so far but didn't realize that the hens would do this.

Any thoughts on why?

In the first picture Scarlet is on the left and she's on the right in the second picture. Like I said - I'm pretty sure she's a hen as she's never strutted or gobbled - only Henry has and she exhibits breeding postures when he's strutting.

Scarlett will get close to Henry & "say" what must be some pretty nagging wife stuff to him (that's my daughter's explanation), as the more she talks (trills that we've not heard from her before), the more puffed up & ticked off he gets. Then they jump at each other then he slaps her around. I've been able to separate them each time so far but didn't realize that the hens would do this.

Any thoughts on why?

I think your daughter nailed it
big_smile.png

Seriously though, everything I've understood about poultry has truth when there is a ratio between males and females. One on one seems to be OK for some birds, but not all of them. Maybe Henry (and Scarlett) just need some time with other ladies to figure it out.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom