*Pouring rain and chickens!!*

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Hi everyone! Ok so I wake up this morning and it was raining so I run outside and put all the chickens up in their houses.
he.gif

My friend is telling me to let them out! They are made for rain!! So I waited unil it was barely raining and let them back out. Well about an hour ago it started POURING! Should I lock them up? They hated it when I did it this morining!
th.gif

What do you guys do?
hu.gif

It's been raining all day here in western NC too. My coop door stays open into the run. All the chickens were in the coop except my younger showgirl. I placed her into the coop and then everyone came out thinking I had treats. They were all a bit damp but I think they have enough survival instinct to know when it's ok to come into and out of the rain. I say, let them decide.

Give them their choice.
Mine usually go out rain or shine and when tired of being wet they go back in.

In much colder weather I get a little more concerned but not now.

I only get concerned about heavy rains if it is going to get so cold at night that I need to heat their water. We did have a really heavy storm this summer, the temps dropped (but not below freezing) it came down so fast that under their coop, they were in standing water 2 inches deep, and many of them were so wet, they struggled to get up into the coop (had to jump onto a truck tailgate) Their feathers were so wet, they couldn't get in. I locked them in, so they would be inside, NOT getting any more wet, and not with their feet in cold cold water. I figured even though they were already wet, together inside, they would keep each other warm.

If my husband had been home, he would have told me i was stupid, but I hate to lose a bird to the cold. So I chased every dang one of them, the last one was a doozy! but I finally got her, and THEN I could sleep sound that night!

If you feel they are unsafe, or might get too cold, do what you need to do. A day in the rain might not kill them, but either will a day in the coop!

Quote:
OMGSH that sounds EXACTLY what I just did!! Their feathers were HANGING off of them I mean drenched to the skin. When I picked each one up I could ring water out of them like a towel!! I felt so bad! They werre just standing in a big puddle (which was their whole run!!) Their run had literally flooded! They didnt fight to get out then!
lol.png

Oh the things I do for my chickens....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom