Powdered corid current best recommendations?

Jul 14, 2021
North Florida
Hello all,
My chooks are all doing fine! However, we just got some babies we are a little concerned about cooccidosis and we have the powdered corid 20%. Now, I have seen the sticky on oral drench and I'm wondering at the .34 ml. per lb..
1. are you weighing your chickens?
2. Is this a minimum amount for under a lb. ?
3. do you usually do an average guesstimate on weight and calculate dose and go from there?

I have also read sooo many posts that recommend anywhere from 1.5 teaspoons per gallon to 2 Tablespoons per gallon H2O , (& anywhere between) 5 - 10 days to treat at full strength, some then drop to 1tsp./gal. For follow up or the second 1/2 of treatment. I have read some people saying it's not working etc... I also read it is a thiamine blocker. Chickens don't need thiamine but coccidia does so this amprolium interrupts the lifecycle. It seems to be similar to yeast in that it is always there but shows up as a problem when something is outside of normal range. I would imagine some adaptive creature has found a way to use them to benefit themselves. Anyhow, I was so hoping to get some definitive answers from the experts👌😁.
4. Is it 1.5 teaspoons or 2 Tablespoons? Does it need to be mixed daily or can you use the same mixed in a pre-made gallon jug a quart at a time till out?
5. Is there a better outcome to run a full 10 day course without lowering the dosage or to run 5&5 or 7/5?
6. What is the lifecycle for reproduction on cocciddia (I.e. a 3 day lifecycle is interrupted by day 2 so the bacterial load would drop precipitously on the 2nd day and completely disappear by the 4th day? Assuming reintroduction of cysts is inevitable the next 3 days eliminates those? The following day or three is for those with particularly high reintroduction rate from outdoor ranging & prior poops.

The dosage of Corid amprollium is 1.5 teaspoonsful per gallon of water. The liquid dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml per gallon, not 2 TB for 5-7 days. It is best to mix it daily since they can get fecal material in the drinker. But you can mix a larger amount, and keep it clean while feeding a smaller portion. Corid works by mimicing thiamine in the coccida oocyst. It is good to not give extra thiamine except what is in the food, when treating. You can then give Corid another 5-7 days at 1/4 of the dosage used initially.

The dosage of Corid amprollium is 1.5 teaspoonsful per gallon of water. The liquid dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml per gallon, not 2 TB for 5-7 days. It is best to mix it daily since they can get fecal material in the drinker. But you can mix a larger amount, and keep it clean while feeding a smaller portion. Corid works by mimicing thiamine in the coccida oocyst. It is good to not give extra thiamine except what is in the food, when treating. You can then give Corid another 5-7 days at 1/4 of the dosage used initially.
Thank you for the answers! This helps but as I was reading it I wondered about the 1/4 dosage efficacy? I guess I am saying if it’s replacing the thiamine at full strength what is 1/4 strength doing? Also replacing it but less needed as there is lower number of coccida oocyst using it?

Back
Top Bottom