8 1/2 week old chicks - blood in 1 fecal - to use or not use Corid?

Wilderre

Chirping
Sep 8, 2023
1000001671.jpg

I have 14 8-9 wk old Barred Rock chicks - my first flock. After 6 days of using Flock Fixer ( citric) in response to some diarrhea/labored breathing of 1-2, I found this poo sample yesterday. The blood was more stringy, not liquid, and it was not noticeable until I inspected it. Wondering if this could be normal intestinal lining? Or should I use Corid for a week, and if so, how much 9.6% solution for 1 gallon. The dosing on the label comes to between 4 and 5 mL or about 1 tsp per gallon, but I see people saying 2 tsp per gallon. And I see manufacturer label online that strongly cautions not to overdose. Fyi, they have been on non medicated crumbles as well as thyme, oregano, garlic and astragulus since the beginning. All their cheeps sound normal and their behavior seems normal. They nap some in the afternoon , but they seem very perky every morning and every day when I get home. The littlest one still breathes harder but seems to be growing. Thoughts? Thanks much!

Go ahead and get your birds started on the Corid 9.6% liquid solution. Dosage is 9.5ml per gallon of water for 5 days. Remove all other sources of water and provide only corid treated water. Do not add anything into the mixture, do not give anything containing thiamine during treatment. Make a fresh batch daily.
Stop the thyme, oregano, garlic and astragulus and any other goodies you're giving them during treatment.

If there's no improvement, a sulfa drug may be needed.

Back
Top Bottom