power loss

ihavechicks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Cypress Inn, TN
We are expecting some pretty bad storms tonight and tomorrow. I am at day 19 today so they are locked down. What can I do if we lose power? Any suggestions would be great.

You could make a quick run out to Walmart, and buy a power inverter. It plugs into a cigarette lighter or has battery cables to hook up to a 12 V battery. You could then, worst case scenario, take the bator out to your car, and leave the engine running to power the battery to power the incubator. I don't know how long you'd be able to run the bator off a batery with one of these, if you brought the battery inside.

You could wrap the bator in towels. You could prepare a hot water bottle and keep it in a cooler. There should be enough residual hot water in your tank to fill a bottle. You'd need to be careful not to get the water too hot. The down side to this option is that you'd have to keep opening and closing the bator, thus loosing that valuable humidity. Once those chicks start pipping, IMO the humidity is more important than the heat.

I went out and bought thermacare heating pads to have on hand during the last "looks like we are in for a storm" day...lol

Like these:

I figured if we lost power I could activate one of these and stick in the bator against the side or something. I don't know how well it would work, but it's my back up plan just in case....lol

I also figured if they were in the brooder I could put a towel (or two, I know these get HOT) around one or two and place on the floor and they could use it like a heating pad to stay warm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom