Power outage with eggs in incubator

audrey02026

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Dedham, Ma
Hi All,

I had the power go out while I was sleeping for about 4-5 hours last night. I have about 19 eggs in the incubator on day 15. When I got up the power was back on and the temp was back up to 100. I didn't have time to candle them besides too light in that room during the daytime. I will candle tonight when I get home but I'm just sick thinking that this could have killed the eggs. This was my last hatch and I had some eggs I spent alot of money on and really wanted in this batch. Kinda saved the best for last sort of speak and now thinking they are all done is making it hard for me to concentrate on anything else. Anyone else have a similar situation? Can you let me know how it worked out??

Thanks

I've read many times here on BYC about power failures and children/dogs unplugging incubators. It works out fine more often than you'd think. Budding embryo's are most fragile in first 6 days, Being day 15 and that it was only a few hours with lid closed, heat back to normal when you awoke it's doubtful the internal temp of eggs got that low.

How do you know the power was out for 4 hours btw? Could it have just been out for a short time at 4am hence your digital clock off by 4 hours?

Imagine coming home from work to find you had left the top of the bator after turning the eggs that morning. Been there, done that, still had a hatch. Yours will be fine.

I've read many times here on BYC about power failures and children/dogs unplugging incubators. It works out fine more often than you'd think. Budding embryo's are most fragile in first 6 days, Being day 15 and that it was only a few hours with lid closed, heat back to normal when you awoke it's doubtful the internal temp of eggs got that low.

How do you know the power was out for 4 hours btw? Could it have just been out for a short time at 4am hence your digital clock off by 4 hours?

My daughter said power went off at 11pm and I woke up 3am because I heard the TV come back on at 3am...fell alseep to the tv.

You can candle tonight if you want to. Once the eggs have come fully back up to temperature. But it's the day 18 candling that I use to decide whether to move them into lockdown or toss them.

You can candle tonight if you want to. Once the eggs have come fully back up to temperature. But it's the day 18 candling that I use to decide whether to move them into lockdown or toss them.

Well the temp this morning at 6am was 100 in the incubator so if I candle them tonight at aboout 9-10 they will be back to temp right? I really think i need to see some movement to make me feel better. Although I do feel much better now than I did this am already.

Back
Top Bottom