Practicing in nest boxes, but no eggs???

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
My EE, RIR, and brahma are 22 weeks. My SS is 20 weeks. My wyandotte, cochin are 18 weeks. Lastly my d'uccle and EE are 15 weeks. My RIR has had a blood red comb for 3 weeks and has been squatting for 2 weeks. My Wyandotte has surprisingly squatting for a week. My RIR, SS, and oldest EE have been practicing in the nest box for about 2 weeks now. They go in the nest box make a nice circle inside squawking and then leave. I've even see pretend nests outside the nest box as well.

I've been feeding unmedicated starter with oyster shell to everyone, but the youngest two chicks. I give only healthy treats and supervise all free ranging. Granted it's been hot, but the last 2-3 days it cooled off, espically today. My EE, SS, and Cochin are super noisy too, especially in the morning. My SS comb is just turning red and her dark red wattles came in.

How long do they practice in the nest box before giving eggs? I'm thinking any day now, but I am starting to lose hope. I've noticed my gentle speckled Sussex becomes a monster when in the nest box. If another chick walks up to her while she is in there, she goes after them like I never seen.
ep.gif

I hope this is my magical week! The weather is in the 70's all week! It sure beats the high 90's-low 100's.

My girls (reds) were right around 22 weeks when they started laying. It was sporatic, and one didn't start until about 2 weeks later (she's a little smaller than the others.)

Sounds like you are on the right track! They won't let you down. Just hang in there and imagine how awesome that first beautiful egg will be when you find it!

Best wishes!
smile.png

Thank you. I was starting to wonder if their food was holding them back due to feeding starter.

old.gif
The only thing that you are doing wrong is that your letting your impatience get to you!! Beyond that the rest is fine. I am thinking that my RIRs were checking out the nesting digs for about 3weeks before I finally got one. My Barreds I dont recall them checking things out but probably followed the lead of their coop-mates.

I too will be getting impatient as my Cinnamon Queens are almost 16wks and their combs have gone from light pink to dark pink to light red. My Buffs I figure are still 4/6 wks out but maybe they will surprise me. Their combs are still in the pinkish range.

So be patient,they will come when you least expect it. Easy to say,harder to do I know.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
You're doing fine.

For my first coop I had a camera in there so I got to watch their antics all day. I have some serious dysfunction... I won't deny it.

Trying out nestboxes is the red alert of readiness I think. Mine have layed about 2-4 weeks after showing some kind of interest. One will go in, and the rest will peer in and discuss, then on to the next one. Pretty soon all birds are in one nest and then move on to the next. It's madness, until you find that first egg.

Quote:
I know it's so exciting, isn't it? I have two Russian Orloffs and they are only 9 weeks, so I will be the impatient one soon... Be sure to let us know!

I remember the first time I found an egg in the nest box, I thought my husband was playing a trick on me. Before I got my girls, I always bought brown eggs from a friend of mine. He came in to our bedroom one day and woke me up with an egg in his hand and said, "Look what I found!" I nearly jumped out of bed! I asked if he was serious, and of course he said no.
rant.gif
I was so mad!

So the first time I found eggs in the box, I called him at work to find out if he was playing a trick on me! lol! To my delight it was from one of my girls!
celebrate.gif

Best wishes!

happyhens120, I thought the same thing! I made my husband SWEAR he didn'tput that egg in the box!

Quote:
I know it's so exciting, isn't it? I have two Russian Orloffs and they are only 9 weeks, so I will be the impatient one soon... Be sure to let us know!

I remember the first time I found an egg in the nest box, I thought my husband was playing a trick on me. Before I got my girls, I always bought brown eggs from a friend of mine. He came in to our bedroom one day and woke me up with an egg in his hand and said, "Look what I found!" I nearly jumped out of bed! I asked if he was serious, and of course he said no.
rant.gif
I was so mad!

So the first time I found eggs in the box, I called him at work to find out if he was playing a trick on me! lol! To my delight it was from one of my girls!
celebrate.gif

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom