Prairie Bluebell Frizzle cross???

Hfunnyfarm

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2024
Could this guy indeed be a frizzled prairie bluebell cross? I took him in yesterday for a standard frizzle project pen. The lady said he came from Tractor Supply in April and was an Easter egger. I know Easter Eggers are mixes but I always am curious what those mixes are when I get new birds. This guys comb is throwing me it's so different and the only picture I could find on Google like it was on a black prairie bluebell rooster. Any information thoughts on what he could be a mix of. He is bigger then my full Amercuana rooster.

Attachments

• 20240122_133007.jpg
    20240122_133007.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240122_080534.jpg
    20240122_080534.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240122_133005.jpg
    20240122_133005.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 16
Could this guy indeed be a frizzled prairie bluebell cross? I took him in yesterday for a standard frizzle project pen. The lady said he came from Tractor Supply in April and was an Easter egger. I know Easter Eggers are mixes but I always am curious what those mixes are when I get new birds. This guys comb is throwing me it's so different and the only picture I could find on Google like it was on a black prairie bluebell rooster. Any information thoughts on what he could be a mix of. He is bigger then my full Amercuana rooster.
If he was bought at TSC, he probably came directly from a hatchery, rather than being mixed in someone's backyard.

I don't know which hatchery would be supplying the chicks for the TSC in your area (I've read that TSC orders from different hatcheries, depending on things like which part of the country they are located in.)

Prairie Bluebell seems to be what Hoovers is calling some of their Easter Eggers, with other hatcheries using different names. Hoovers website does not list any frizzled Easter Eggers.

At least one hatchery does sell frizzle Easter Eggers:
https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Frizzle-FS-Easter-Egger-Day-Old-Chicks-p391524551

I do not know what they are mixing to get them. They could have just bred a frizzle of any breed to an Easter Egger hen, then crossed sons from that mating back to normal Easter Egger hens. If they kept frizzled males each year to cross back to the Easter Egger hens, they would soon have chickens that are pretty much pure for the genes in their Easter Egger flock, but with some of them being frizzled. But they probably used their own line of Easter Eggers, not the Hoovers "Prairie Bluebell" line (not that it makes much difference to the outcome: plenty of other Easter Eggers do look a lot like the Hoovers ones.)

It is common to say that "Easter Eggers are mixes," but they are usually not a cross of two distinct breeds. Instead, hatcheries usually have a flock of Easter Eggers, that they breed only with other Easter Eggers in that same flock. Mixing of breeds would have been quite a while in the past by now. The original mix definitely included at least one kind of chicken that laid blue or green eggs, to provide the blue egg gene, and probably included some breed that is a really good layer because everyone wants their Easter Eggers to lay well, but by now the descendants are so mixed up that it's hopeless to try to recognize what genes came from what original breed.

Back
Top Bottom