Pre incubation storage

mike17l

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
How do you store eggs pre-incubation? I am hatching quail eggs and have not had great success. Out of shear laziness, I have been storing the eggs on top of the quail pens, which are outside and subject to temp changes. I assume that I will have greater success if I store them in the house. What are the ideal conditions in which to store hatching eggs (up to 14 days of storage)? Temp? Humidity? Light?

Thanks!!!

50° is ideal, i keep them in the plastic tri fold trays to keep them from drying out . i try not to keep them over 7 days before setting. if you're keeping them 14 days they are likely drying out on you too much, quail eggs are easy to allow too much moisture loss before and during incubation.

50° is ideal, i keep them in the plastic tri fold trays to keep them from drying out . i try not to keep them over 7 days before setting. if you're keeping them 14 days they are likely drying out on you too much, quail eggs are easy to allow too much moisture loss before and during incubation.

That would make sense, many of the eggs will pip, but chicks will get stuck. Likely because of humidity issues. I do raise the humidity the last 3 days of incubation, but it may not be enough.

That would make sense, many of the eggs will pip, but chicks will get stuck. Likely because of humidity issues. I do raise the humidity the last 3 days of incubation, but it may not be enough.

with quail eggs it's not just the last 3 days, i keep my humidity in the mid to upper 40s the first 14 days (coturnix) then i run the hatcher at 65%. this gives me much better hatch rates.

with quail eggs it's not just the last 3 days, i keep my humidity in the mid to upper 40s the first 14 days (coturnix) then i run the hatcher at 65%. this gives me much better hatch rates.
Exactly how I incubate, which is why I believe my issues are preincubation.

Last edited:
I was wondering about temp and length of time you can store eggs before incubating. I have just got some adult turkeys and wanted to have at least 6 to hatch together....would a very slightly damp cardboard egg carton work good for them ???

Back
Top Bottom