Predator Apron Question

612Chickens

In the Brooder
May 1, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
I am about to start building a coop, and I am trying to think through the best way to install a hardware cloth apron around the coop and run. The coop is essentially a reverse Wichita on a capped cement block foundation. I am thinking that the top of the paver cap will be a few inches above grade.

I am hoping that one of you has already thought of a great solution and tested it...

The options that I can think of are:

1. Attach it to the base board of the coop, and run it over the outside of the block. That is the most simple, but not particularly good looking.

2. Possibly run it between the block and paver cap, but that could cause stability issues, and I would still need to figure out how to anchor it.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you!

Are you sure you need an apron around your coop??? What is it that will be digging under your coop. I can see the benefit of an apron around the run area, since that seems to be the primary entry point.
If you would post some pictures it would help. Not many know what a Wichita coop is, and I have no IDEA what a REVERSE ONE IS..
If you are going to make a cement block foundation, would it be very difficult to upgrade to a slab??? :idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Going on the outside of the block is definitely the easiest. If you're worried about the looks, you could add some skirting boards over the outside. Pick up some 1x4 or 1x6 boards, trim them to match the grade, and secure them over the hw cloth. I'd use treated lumber since they're going to be getting lots of splash from rain, even if you keep them just above the actual ground level.

Are you sure you need an apron around your coop??? What is it that will be digging under your coop. I can see the benefit of an apron around the run area, since that seems to be the primary entry point.
If you would post some pictures it would help. Not many know what a Wichita coop is, and I have no IDEA what a REVERSE ONE IS..
If you are going to make a cement block foundation, would it be very difficult to upgrade to a slab??? :idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Thank you for the reply. In the city, we have some foxes and coyote, and quite a few big racoons. This is one of those enclosed runs that includes and goes under the coop. The relevant part of the design is really a rectangle, one row of concrete blocks, that provide the base for the walls of the coop and enclosed run. Inside, the base of the run is dirt with gravel and sand on top of that.

OK , Now I get a clearer picture. Here is my suggestion. See what you think.
I suggest welded wire instead of hardware cloth, since it will take longer to rust out/deteriorate.
Have a 2 foot apron flat on the perimeter. Place your concrete blocks on top of the inside edge. Cover the outside wire with soil. If you have an animal digging, they will soon encounter the wire at the wall/fence edge.
Animals dig as close to fence/wall as possible. They do not have to see it, and think,,,,, OH,,,,, WE CANT DIG INTO THIS ONE. ANIMALS DON'T RATIONALIZE THIS WAY. They will not retreat 3 feet back and see if that will get them access.

See what you think.
I suggest welded wire instead of hardware cloth, since it will take longer to rust out/deteriorate.
Have a 2 foot apron flat on the perimeter. Place your concrete blocks on top of the inside edge. Cover the outside wire with soil. If you have an animal digging, they will soon encounter the wire at the wall/fence edge.
This^^^ I'd go with 14ga 1x2 cage mesh.

Back
Top Bottom