Predator ID

Jasonb61

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
I've lost two silkies to a predator in the last 6 months. Can anyone provide some insight on what they think is the most likely culprit based on the following information.

Attack happens during the daytime (chickens are secure at night). Both times, I've found a mess of feathers at the edge of a nearby pasture which is about 50 feet from their coop. There is no blood, no body parts, no identifiable signs of a struggle, and no tracks I can see (grassy/brushy areas). I have three suspects:

Hawk
Cat
Human

I'm a little doubtful it is a person but not completely ruling out the possibility. There are a few feral cats in the area but from what I've seen, they are skiddish of the chickens. I've seen hawks around but wouldn't they leave blood or body parts?

I'm not ruling out any other possibilities but I feel those are most likely. A fox, maybe?

I've lost two silkies to a predator in the last 6 months. Can anyone provide some insight on what they think is the most likely culprit based on the following information.

Attack happens during the daytime (chickens are secure at night). Both times, I've found a mess of feathers at the edge of a nearby pasture which is about 50 feet from their coop. There is no blood, no body parts, no identifiable signs of a struggle, and no tracks I can see (grassy/brushy areas). I have three suspects:

Hawk
Cat
Human

I'm a little doubtful it is a person but not completely ruling out the possibility. There are a few feral cats in the area but from what I've seen, they are skiddish of the chickens. I've seen hawks around but wouldn't they leave blood or body parts?

I'm not ruling out any other possibilities but I feel those are most likely. A fox, maybe?

Fox was my first thought. Silkies are rather large for most hawks to handle and when they do you find a few puff of feathers. Most cats wouldn't for the same reason as a hawk. Wild-feral dog? Fox; it sounds like the chicken is nabbed and then eaten where you find the feathers. Mink?

I just lost one of my Brabanters the same way, mid morning, and I heard the squawking, but got there too late - just a bunch of feathers at the kill site. From what I've read, it sounds like the calling card of a fox. My neighbours and I have seen a fox in the area. Apparently they'll stake the area out for days, waiting for the right opportunity.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Unfortunately, I lost another about a week later. However, I found no signs of her remains or a struggle.

I kept the rest of them locked in the coop for a few days and started alternating their schedules as I'm pretty certain I've been losing them in the morning and I would usually open their coop around 6am before work. So far, this has worked. I can't leave them locked up all day as I feel it would be cruel considering the heat index has been over 100 and they have no run. I would build them one but their coop is temporary (my shed!) until I can build a dedicated coop. Hoping to begin next month.

Back
Top Bottom