Predator mystery--tips to prevent?

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
I had 5 6-mo-old BR pullets living in a mobile tractor. They were fine when I closed the pen at night. In the morning, one was on the ground by the edge of the coop with part of her headless neck poking out from under the pen. The other 4 were fine.

It was chilly for here in NC-about 24* in the morning. Did she freeze and fall off her roost at night? That seems odd. I assume a raccoon but how did he grab her unless she was on the ground? There's a gap of 2" where the runners come near the ground and meet the wheels to scoot it along the ground.

I hate losing pullets! They're on the brink of their prime years. Ugh.

What do you think happened? Any way to prevent in future?

I also use hot wire and a solar charger for my tractors if they don’t have a secure floor.
Sometimes even if they -do- have a secure floor. I’ve had neighbors that have had raccoons dig under tractors and pull apart chickens and rabbits through slats / wire 😓
It’s easy to pull up the ground post and move the charger w the tractors that way.

I have only personally had issues w raccoons breaching the fence in my duck yard - despite the yard being covered. They found a loose spot in the top cover and came in, after taking a bird that (probably found the same loose spot and) escaped.
Thank goodness I was headed out to do chores as he was coming for an easy dinner. He didn’t get another duck.

I may not make friends by saying this. But. Once I’ve had raccoons figure out how to breach my security measures. Only dispatching the (usually 1-3) coons has resolved the issue, in my experience.
Improving your security can absolutely help, but may not solve the problem since they know where to go at this point....

Many areas have laws against live trapping and moving them, if you don’t prefer to dispatch, so please consider looking into that. I don’t know where you are, so can’t offer any thoughts on that beyond suggesting you do some research.

It makes for some long evenings and early mornings to make sure they are taken care of, but. 95% likely that they will be back, I’m sorry to say.

Sucks to lose any. But sucks more to lose more ☹️
Sorry for the timing, too. Not like most of us have a bunch of extra time rn 😓

I also use hot wire and a solar charger for my tractors if they don’t have a secure floor.
Sometimes even if they -do- have a secure floor. I’ve had neighbors that have had raccoons dig under tractors and pull apart chickens and rabbits through slats / wire 😓
It’s easy to pull up the ground post and move the charger w the tractors that way.

I have only personally had issues w raccoons breaching the fence in my duck yard - despite the yard being covered. They found a loose spot in the top cover and came in, after taking a bird that (probably found the same loose spot and) escaped.
Thank goodness I was headed out to do chores as he was coming for an easy dinner. He didn’t get another duck.

I may not make friends by saying this. But. Once I’ve had raccoons figure out how to breach my security measures. Only dispatching the (usually 1-3) coons has resolved the issue, in my experience.
Improving your security can absolutely help, but may not solve the problem since they know where to go at this point....

Many areas have laws against live trapping and moving them, if you don’t prefer to dispatch, so please consider looking into that. I don’t know where you are, so can’t offer any thoughts on that beyond suggesting you do some research.

It makes for some long evenings and early mornings to make sure they are taken care of, but. 95% likely that they will be back, I’m sorry to say.

Sucks to lose any. But sucks more to lose more ☹️
Sorry for the timing, too. Not like most of us have a bunch of extra time rn 😓
About how much did you pay for a hot wire situation for your tractor? I have 3 mobile tractors and 2 stationary pens. The stationary pens have a hot wire along one side that they share with the cattle pasture. And when we have cattle in the pasture, they seem to help scare off other creatures.

If we see a predator, we certainly work to remove it. :) But I've only ever seen the work of a coon, not the actual culprit.

Back
Top Bottom