Predator problems, how to keep a turkey pen safe?

For me the best predator proofing I can do here are fully enclosed coops/houses for all the chickens turkeys and ducks. I know they are safe when they are locked up at night. Do you not have a house for the turkeys? If not is it possible to construct something for them?

My turkeys have their own enclosed house with an attached pen to it and the pen is covered in aviary netting to keep them from flying out.

Im sorry you lost your turkey flock. I hope you can find something that works for you to keep the predators out.

All our birds get locked up in a coop here. Racoons were feasting. Coyote grab and run.

Having dogs also helps, especially with the canine issues-- they are territorial and if your dog is allowed to walk the perimiter and do his business it is very helpful. Just one more line of defense.

So sorry for your devastating loss :( I also lost a flock, to a raccoon or possibly several, and inadequate fencing (1" chicken wire). We now use half-inch chicken wire (too small for raccoon hands) on all sides of the coop. It overlays large gauge wire, not sure what it's called, but it's the same as in Popsicle's photos above - strong enough to keep larger animals, such as coyotes or mountain lions, from punching through. Previously, we only had 1" chicken wire overlaying the stronger fencing, and the raccoons reached right through and pulled off whatever body parts they could reach. Curious turkeys went close to the fence, possibly to try and fight, and were also killed. So we lost every turkey but one, even though no raccoon could get into the coop. So strength, plus something small to keep out raccoon hands, or snakes/rats/weasels, is important. Also very important to solidly attach side fencing to strong wire on bottom of coop AND top, or netting on top. We've had numerous animals try to dig under the coop, sometimes tunneling 2-3 feet under before giving up. So just putting in fencing 12" into the ground is not enough. We have strong wire on top (though not the 1/2") to prevent anything from coming in or getting out the top.

So sorry for your devastating loss :( I also lost a flock, to a raccoon or possibly several, and inadequate fencing (1" chicken wire). We now use half-inch chicken wire (too small for raccoon hands) on all sides of the coop. It overlays large gauge wire, not sure what it's called, but it's the same as in Popsicle's photos above - strong enough to keep larger animals, such as coyotes or mountain lions, from punching through. Previously, we only had 1" chicken wire overlaying the stronger fencing, and the raccoons reached right through and pulled off whatever body parts they could reach. Curious turkeys went close to the fence, possibly to try and fight, and were also killed. So we lost every turkey but one, even though no raccoon could get into the coop. So strength, plus something small to keep out raccoon hands, or snakes/rats/weasels, is important. Also very important to solidly attach side fencing to strong wire on bottom of coop AND top, or netting on top. We've had numerous animals try to dig under the coop, sometimes tunneling 2-3 feet under before giving up. So just putting in fencing 12" into the ground is not enough. We have strong wire on top (though not the 1/2") to prevent anything from coming in or getting out the top.

I use hardware cloth dug 12" into the ground, overlaying the first few feet of fencing. I tie into the chain link using cheap steel safety wire. Two years and I haven't had a predator problem...knock on wood. Galvanized hardware cloth is pretty tough stuff...but it's not as cheap as chicken wire.

Yesterday, my world was shattered when I walked out to find all my beautiful Narragansetts butchered in my own yard. It appeared a pack of coyotes dug and tore through the wire at the bottom of the fence and they ate most of my birds right there in the backyard. I'm shocked at how bold they were, they jumped an exterior chain link fence to get into my yard, walked right through my driveway and then clearly took their time killing and eating my whole turkey flock and a couple of my roosters in the pen with them. They must have been here over an hour while we slept. I don't know how we didn't hear the ruckus. I feel terrible. My husband and I plan to rebuild this pen from the bottom up and we've purchased a hotwire and wired the chicken coop in the meantime and plan to wire the turkey pens as well top and bottom. Turkey pens are different from chickens however, and there's no locking them in a coop - how do you do it?
I keep two Great Pyrenees with my chickens and turkeys. They get along very well. We have coyotes and Fox near us but they do not come near because of Marley and Belle. My only problem is the turkeys in the dog house and eat their food. I am presently working on that. The turkeys are pets.

Back
Top Bottom