Predator Proof Latches?

Siera

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 3, 2012
What do you recommend as the best predator proof latches? Should I just padlock every entrance or is something simpler I can use? My new coop came with a spring loaded latch, but I suspect raccoons can get into that? Thanks!

I wish I could intelligently describe the locks we have on the nest box lid...one on each end, takes your thumb to move it. It would take two criiters to throw both locks at the same time to get the lid open....then we use caribeeners on the sliding locks on the coop door and secure pen gate...this probably doesn't make sense, but they are easy to use and effective.

I asked the same thing on here a few months ago, and after contemplating everything available at Home Depot opted for a set of 4 master locks with a common key. One key is on a lanyard out at the coop (and any raccoon that figures out the system probably deserves my chickens), and the spare is on my car key chain, as our children are not to be trusted to return keys to their appointed place. The locks are easy to use, and barring a Mensa Predators meeting, they're probably pretty fail-safe.

--Nikki

I use simple barrel bolt latches and secure them with tractor linch pins that can be purchased at any farm store-they take strength and dexterity to open. Haven't lost a bird to an open coop yet.

I wish I could intelligently describe the locks we have on the nest box lid...one on each end, takes your thumb to move it. It would take two critters to throw both locks at the same time to get the lid open....then we use caribeeners on the sliding locks on the coop door and secure pen gate...this probably doesn't make sense, but they are easy to use and effective.
We also use caribeeners to secure our latch. Just stick the caribeener into the hole under the latch!

Back
Top Bottom