Predator proofing coop

Cooper Gs Coop

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Central New York
So. I know we have foxes, I've trapped them. I know we have weasel/mink//marten because I've found the carcasses. Have raccoons, skunks and anything else short of coyotes and black bears. My coop is a few feet off the ground. 3' thick concrete floor. Very solid old garage. Everything is sealed off completely and the biggest gap I can wrench the door open to get to is about 1/2". I've put steel mesh along the edges of the roof and sealed them with 2" roofing nails, every 2". I've gone over everything with a fine tooth comb but I know for the weasel it's almost impossible. I've put two latches, on top and bottom of man door, both will be locked with pad locks. Also the same for the chicken door. I ain't messing around with those thumb using raccoons either lol. Anyone else in Central New York or anyone that has these predators, any feedback is appreciated. Tomorrow I'm going out to make a handful of "weasel trap boxes". May as well get pro active before my chicks go out to the coop. I think with my "Fort Knox" coop, the only thing that will be able to find a way in would be a weasel. If anyone has any tricks that work i.e. Blinking lights, chimes....Thank you.

I feel your pain. I've lost $4,000 worth of chickens to mink. Lost a ton of others to raccoons, opossums and neighbors' dogs.

I think you're on the right track. No opening over 1/2", trap often, but still provide big ventilation which requires 1/4" mesh hardware cloth.

This is what I came up with today. The hole to get in is about 2". I set a rat trap inside and threw some venison that has been rotting for two years. Thats the good stuff them predators like lol. We'll see what happens but I also have the Hav-A-Hart cage out for the raccoons too.

[/IMG]

Nice. That is a really nice fortified coop. I've thought about attaching a run to the coop. But we have a big back yard and we'll try free ranging while we're outside this year. About two weeks to go here in NY and it'll be time to bring em outside.

They really are outside the coop and run most of the day with part of the yard that provides good good cover. I don't know if this electric fence would work on your coop alone, or parts of it that you are concerned about, but thought I would share...thanks!! I have to say, it is a lot less work...close em up at night, flip the switch, flip the switch, open them up in the am!

Yeah that's a big part for me. We have 3 daughters, the youngest being 3 so I want to make sure that the kids and mrs don't have too much to worry about. The coop is 10'x10' and 10' tall in center. Plenty of room. Just outside a small city so not big predators. Mostly worried about the mink. Whole yard is surrounded by hardwoods and a nice thick brush pile all the way around. We made this on purpose to help the deer, rabbits and other animals we enjoy, feel more safe coming out and having more cover. We do have hawks and bald eagles, but neighbors have chickens that free range and they have no problems. Only issues I've heard of here are the raccoons grabbing chickens piece by piece from a smaller coop or a weasel getting in and wipe out the flock. I'm hoping with all the research and effort put in to protect them that we'll have a fairly quick and easy learning curve. And I have to lab/pit bull mixed dogs that are teddy bears for people but nightmares for ground hogs, skunks and foxes. They have been able to interact and even play with my chicks since we first got them. Every day we have play time because I want my boys to know that the chickens are part of our family. I think they'll be good watch dogs. Also, neighbor down the street has a blinking red light on the coop door and they say it helps keeps the predators away at night. I have my doubts. Like anything else, they'll learn that it can't hurt them. . .Thank you again for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom