Predator proofing

Treehouse-Crafts

Hatching
Mar 25, 2018
I am building my first chicken coop and am trying to decide to put the wire inside the wood horizontally or vertically our outside horizontally or vertically. I live in a high predator area so aesthetically inside would look better but want to get max protection. What are you thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 20
I would use 3/4" fence staples and put the 1x2 or 1x1 welded wire fencing on the outside along with an 18" apron on the ground outside of 1x2 welded wire for digging protection.

JT
Thank you for your input. I bought 1/2 welded wire for the coop run and also 1x2 welded wire fencing for the apron. When I put the apron on, do I dig straight down or dig out so it lays angled out?

I don't live in a high predator area but my neighbors did have "something" kill all 3 of their chickens so I'm planning on doing a 12" apron around bottom of my run. My nest box, pop door and man door actually have lock and key. I did put hardware cloth around the outside of my window because it slides up and opened from the inside.

I don't live in a high predator area but my neighbors did have "something" kill all 3 of their chickens so I'm planning on doing a 12" apron around bottom of my run. My nest box, pop door and man door actually have lock and key. I did put hardware cloth around the outside of my window because it slides up and opened from the inside.
I will be putting wire on the inside of the window sandwiched in with wood, it technically opens from the inside as well but if it's not locked you can open it from the outside. I have latches on the man door and closet door which I plan on using a screw type carabiner to keep them from opening the latches. I will do the same for the pop hole door.

Nice looking coop.
For the apron you can go down or out. Either way. Some people just lay it on the surface or cover it slightly.
On my run I lined the bottom with rocks. I have lots of rocks. And then ran an electric fence strand all around about 5 inches high.
I have found the electric fence to be a great predator deterrent.

Great looking coop. I too would put wire on outside of post, also would suggest if possible add a electric wire at bottom 4-5 inches up and one at top to stop climbing predators. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom