Predator proofing

SunneeSideUp

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
Hey all! My chickens are going out next week in their coop! We only have 4 (for now) lol. I just have a few questions and want to be sure they stay safe. We live in NC and we have 2 acres of mostly woods. Lots of coyotes unfortunately.

I did buy a prefab chicken coop from TS. I plan to check it and reinforce it and the coop will also go on top of concrete slabs to prevent anything from digging under. The coop will also be going INSIDE a 10 by 12 dog kennel. The kennel has a roof. My 2 questions are this.

1) We plan on using 1/4 hardware cloth. I’ve seen some only wrap the kennels about 4 feet up and all around. Would that be enough? Should I wrap it all the way to the roof?

2) As far as proofing the kennel/run against diggers, which is safest? I’ve seen people dig and burry hardware cloth, make hardware cloth skirts, and also people buy either gravel or 12 by 12 stone or concrete slaps and place them all around the outside base. The last option seems the easiest and best, but I want to double check.

We really had planned to have them put out sooner. They are almost 10 weeks. But we had to get some trees cut down to make way for the coop. Thanks so much for any advice!

As far as proofing the kennel/run against diggers, which is safest? I’ve seen people dig and burry hardware cloth, make hardware cloth skirts, and also people buy either gravel or 12 by 12 stone or concrete slaps and place them all around the outside base. The last option seems the easiest and best, but I want to double check.
If what is next to the run fence is solid, digging predators will back up to find something they can dig in. That's why lots of people go with a predator apron made of hardware cloth, and it should 18-24 inches wide.

You can also go straight down, but most people have trouble digging down deep enough to have an effective apron.

As far as wrapping the sides, 1/2" hardware cloth is much sturdier than 1/4" because the wire is thicker. What is your dog kennel fence made of? Chain link is nice and strong, but the openings are plenty wide for raccoons to reach through.

Hi there! I had some thoughts.

Putting the pre-fab coop in the 10x12' kennel is a good idea. That should keep a bear or raccoon from getting to the pre-fab coop to break something before you know about it. They aren't known for their strength (the coop, not the bear 😅 ).

You actually want 1/2" hardware cloth. It lasts for longer that 1/4". You may get to the store and realize you meant 1/2" all along, but I just wanted to make sure.

I am guessing chain link fence is surrounding the kennel. Weasels can get in there. If you want the kennel to be 100% for you, you will eventually want to cover it with the hardware cloth, and make sure there is nowhere on the roof that they could squeeze into. You have lesser weasels down there, I thought I heard somewhere they can fit into holes as big as a quarter, but hopefully our fellow southerners can fact check that.

You can get these gate latches and put a carabiner through the hole to prevent raccoons from figuring it out.

1687537726869.png

To protect against diggers you want what is called an 18" apron. You basically secure it to the coop or fence and then have it come out 18" and lay on the ground. The grass will grow through, but it will last longer than if you dug it in.

You can use the slabs and may nver have an issue, but I think the hardware cloth apron is a better bet.

After all that you can go take a nap, knowing nothing is getting at your chickens!

If what is next to the run fence is solid, digging predators will back up to find something they can dig in. That's why lots of people go with a predator apron made of hardware cloth, and it should 18-24 inches wide.

You can also go straight down, but most people have trouble digging down deep enough to have an effective apron.

As far as wrapping the sides, 1/2" hardware cloth is much sturdier than 1/4" because the wire is thicker. What is your dog kennel fence made of? Chain link is nice and strong, but the openings are plenty wide for raccoons to reach through.
it is chain link, which is why we are wrapping it. I’ll look to see if my local store has the 1/2 inch!

Hi there! I had some thoughts.

Putting the pre-fab coop in the 10x12' kennel is a good idea. That should keep a bear or raccoon from getting to the pre-fab coop to break something before you know about it. They aren't known for their strength (the coop, not the bear 😅 ).

You actually want 1/2" hardware cloth. It lasts for longer that 1/4". You may get to the store and realize you meant 1/2" all along, but I just wanted to make sure.

I am guessing chain link fence is surrounding the kennel. Weasels can get in there. If you want the kennel to be 100% for you, you will eventually want to cover it with the hardware cloth, and make sure there is nowhere on the roof that they could squeeze into. You have lesser weasels down there, I thought I heard somewhere they can fit into holes as big as a quarter, but hopefully our fellow southerners can fact check that.

You can get these gate latches and put a carabiner through the hole to prevent raccoons from figuring it out.

View attachment 3552968

To protect against diggers you want what is called an 18" apron. You basically secure it to the coop or fence and then have it come out 18" and lay on the ground. The grass will grow through, but it will last longer than if you dug it in.

You can use the slabs and may nver have an issue, but I think the hardware cloth apron is a better bet.

After all that you can go take a nap, knowing nothing is getting at your chickens!
Thank you! I think I’m my mind the 1/4 inch was smaller, but I’ll go with the 1/2 lol. Yeah we are going to wrap the kennel with it. I had just seen some only wrap it about half way up. How do you secure the apron into the ground?

Use landscaping stakes to keep the apron down. 6" or 12", depending on your soil. 4" would probably work fine too.

If you have no more than 1/2" space on any opening, it will prevent everything except small snakes and possibly small mice and frogs getting in. The chickens will eat those usually, so they don't stick around long. You will have an almost totally predator free coop.

I haven't had an issue with mice or rats, and I have a totally enclosed covered coop/run combo.

Where are you located? In the USA? State and/or geographic location is good, it will help us give good advice for your situation.

I have all the predators, but no bears, mountain lions, scorpions, or really large dogs.

Link to my first coop build in North Alabama. Winter has plastic on sides, summer just has tarp over top. Maybe give you some good ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-the-chickens-now-i-need-a-coop-please-help.1519455/

I've since built another coop by taking two dog kennels and building a 10'x30' enclosed covered run by totally covering it with hardware cloth, and raising the roof so the rain can drain off. I buy 3 ft 1/2" hardware cloth, secure it to the coop, and end up with a 2.5' apron. Nothing has got inside, and it's been over a year on the greenhouse frame coop, and almost half a year on the dog kennel coop. I call them coops, but for me a coop is an open air covered run, with nesting boxes and perches and food and water inside. I actually don't see a need for a traditional coop inside my run at this time, in my climate. It was a record cold last year, and the chickens came through it just fine, with only a bit of frostbite on my rooster's comb. I don't free range due to predators, including fox and coyote and hawks.

Need to update this thread with what I actually did, but members gave me some great ideas, so I'll share.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...air-coop-run-combo-build-suggestions.1559700/

Use landscaping stakes to keep the apron down. 6" or 12", depending on your soil. 4" would probably work fine too.

If you have no more than 1/2" space on any opening, it will prevent everything except small snakes and possibly small mice and frogs getting in. The chickens will eat those usually, so they don't stick around long. You will have an almost totally predator free coop.

I haven't had an issue with mice or rats, and I have a totally enclosed covered coop/run combo.

Where are you located? In the USA? State and/or geographic location is good, it will help us give good advice for your situation.

I have all the predators, but no bears, mountain lions, scorpions, or really large dogs.

Link to my first coop build in North Alabama. Winter has plastic on sides, summer just has tarp over top. Maybe give you some good ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-the-chickens-now-i-need-a-coop-please-help.1519455/

I've since built another coop by taking two dog kennels and building a 10'x30' enclosed covered run by totally covering it with hardware cloth, and raising the roof so the rain can drain off. I buy 3 ft 1/2" hardware cloth, secure it to the coop, and end up with a 2.5' apron. Nothing has got inside, and it's been over a year on the greenhouse frame coop, and almost half a year on the dog kennel coop. I call them coops, but for me a coop is an open air covered run, with nesting boxes and perches and food and water inside. I actually don't see a need for a traditional coop inside my run at this time, in my climate. It was a record cold last year, and the chickens came through it just fine, with only a bit of frostbite on my rooster's comb. I don't free range due to predators, including fox and coyote and hawks.

Need to update this thread with what I actually did, but members gave me some great ideas, so I'll share.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...air-coop-run-combo-build-suggestions.1559700/
Thank you for all the info!! We do live in the US, North Carolina to be specify! We very rarely have bears in my area. Biggest issues would likely be raccoons, snakes and coyotes.

Is the coop and run in the shade?
Those tiny coops rarely have enough ventilation.

1) We plan on using 1/4 hardware cloth. I’ve seen some only wrap the kennels about 4 feet up and all around. Would that be enough? Should I wrap it all the way to the roof?
I would wrap the entire thing in HC. 1/2" would be better as it's stronger.
The mesh and gaps in a chainlink kennel can let a few preds in.

2) As far as proofing the kennel/run against diggers, which is safest? I’ve seen people dig and burry hardware cloth, make hardware cloth skirts, and also people buy either gravel or 12 by 12 stone or concrete slaps and place them all around the outside base. The last option seems the easiest and best, but I want to double check.
How close to the edge of concrete pad is the kennel?
Some pics would help here.

We live in NC
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1687547267182.png

Back
Top Bottom