Predator questions.

LalaP

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
I lost a beloved chicken to a predator last weekend and I could use some advice. My coop is totally predator proof so I’m not worried there. The attack happened either during the day or around dusk before the hens head in. I’ve recently moved and my old setup included an enclosed run but at the new place they are more free range within a tall fenced area. I thought this would be ok but obviously I was wrong and now I’m building a small run but there’s just no way to build a large nice run here and I’d like to still let them out sometimes. Is there anyway to keep them safe during the day without having to stand guard? Do any of the products or devises available work? Now that this animal knows where to find my chickens is there just no way to free range them?

Also can anyone identify these tracks? Raccoon, weasle, skunk, mink?
CDD314FA-B7E8-45BE-8248-73FBA927B21C.jpeg
497C2A17-0E0B-4D63-A543-F7071ABD98C8.jpeg
E69E22C1-5134-4374-9AAB-CC61C91705A5.jpeg
A7E2A3A1-AC2F-4532-B682-72B79447A38C.jpeg
3DEC9584-D8E9-474B-8C03-526E9D531046.jpeg
49EF82D5-AD70-4921-9119-B48781B511D0.jpeg
B617BFBA-D2FB-4FB7-8715-029B262E1D29.jpeg

Is there anyway to keep them safe during the day without having to stand guard?

It all depends on what your loss tolerance is. We have just 4 hens that are deemed pets. So, our tolerance is very low. They stay encased in hardware cloth at almost all times. They do get some occasional supervised outside time.

As @Aunt Angus suggested, electric poultry netting is about as good as you can get for ground predators. But, it won't stop raptors. It also won't stop snakes and rats. You can put up netting, but that won't stop climbers.

If you're working with a large flock where a few losses is not a high percentage catastrophe, then you can do things to help stack the odds in your favor such as those listed above and making sure you have shrub cover for them to run to, have a rooster for earlier warning. Get (and train/maintain) a livestock guardian dog. And then you can go further and get Guinea fowl. I believe donkeys can be useful for predator protection. How practical any of those can be depend on an individual's circumstances.

As you can imagine, none of those were as practical for my 4 hens as encased in hardware cloth. Bear and bobcat might be the only things that could get through it and we don't have much of them where I am.

It all depends on what your loss tolerance is. We have just 4 hens that are deemed pets. So, our tolerance is very low. They stay encased in hardware cloth at almost all times. They do get some occasional supervised outside time.

As @Aunt Angus suggested, electric poultry netting is about as good as you can get for ground predators. But, it won't stop raptors. It also won't stop snakes and rats. You can put up netting, but that won't stop climbers.

If you're working with a large flock where a few losses is not a high percentage catastrophe, then you can do things to help stack the odds in your favor such as those listed above and making sure you have shrub cover for them to run to, have a rooster for earlier warning. Get (and train/maintain) a livestock guardian dog. And then you can go further and get Guinea fowl. I believe donkeys can be useful for predator protection. How practical any of those can be depend on an individual's circumstances.

As you can imagine, none of those were as practical for my 4 hens as encased in hardware cloth. Bear and bobcat might be the only things that could get through it and we don't have much of them where I am.
I actually have aviary netting over my electric poultry netting. I also have places for them to hide (though I admit I still need a lot more). I was considering an LGD, but IDK if I would have the time and knowledge to train it adequately. What I am planning to do once I have enough time and funds (haha) is make them a large electrically netted yard INSIDE my goat pasture - there'd be a goat moat around the chickens - lol! The goats, likewise, are surrounded by electric fencing. So predators would have to go past our perimeter fencing, electric goat fencing, the goats, the electric poultry netting and aviary netting to get to my chickens and ducks. Goats won't stop large predators, but their super hot fencing hopefully will. And my goats hate everything with 4 legs. They chase off (read: try to stomp to death) foxes and whatnot.

The lengths we all go to for our flocks, amirite?

Back
Top Bottom