Predators and feed

Bcampo

Chirping
Jan 19, 2019
Baltimore, Maryland
im new to all this and trying to get it right the first time around although chances of that happening are slim! So to deter rats/mice it seems prudent to have the feeder in the run instead of the coop? I have purchased the rat proof feeder, does that still need to be put away at night? If there are no spills from the feeder you still need to put it away? Water gets taken up too? Do the varmits learn to drink from the nipple system?

Thanks for all your advise!

I feed inside my shed and coop. I would prefer dealing with rodents than having to worry about moldy feed outside. No matter what you do you will still have to deal with rodents at some point.

It is hard to keep critters away from the feed. I keep my feed in two metal trashcans. I don't store my feeder in them at night, but it is an option (probably I should start doing that, but there is spilled feed so I don't know how much good it would do). Once I had a woodchuck eat through my electric fence to get to the chicken feed.

Yes, rats can learn to drink from nipples; they'll lick it, find water, and continue. Water's pretty readily available; I wouldn't worry too much about it so long as nothing can lay eggs in it and wild birds can't access it.

Feed, however, should probably be locked up at night if possible, even with a rat-proof feeder. The smell alone will still attract raccoons and such, and they can get into most of those type of feeders.

Don't know that it matters whether the feeders are outside or in. Even if the feed's a couple hundred feet away from the coop, that sheltered building will still look like a great place to raise a family.

If your rat proof feeder is inside the run or coop, and no other animals like coons, etc, can get to it, then you do not have to take it up at night. That is it's purpose. To dispense food to the birds free choice.....but still prevent rats and mice from getting in. They can't open the door to gain access to the food, and since it's metal, they can't gnaw their way in either. BTW, that isn't speculation. I actually have and use the one sold by BYC member Al G. out of Oklahoma. Can't speak for any of the other feeders.

Bulk food stored elsewhere is a different story. Unless the shed is rodent proof, then you may have to store that in metal cans, steel drums, etc. Rodents can't chew through metal containers.

Rats and mice can learn to drink from nipples and cups.

Back
Top Bottom