Predators

VulpesVulpes

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Colorado
I have just joined this site because my self and my wife have ventured into the world of raising chickens. I will offer any help I can give. I am a predator hunter. Coyotes, Badger, Fox, Bobcats...etc. I have studied their behavior and feeding habits. If there are any questions that you have on specific predators and need help figuring out ways to deter them, please feel free to ask. I belong to several predator forums, and if I don't have the answer, I can find one.

Welcome to BYC :)
Will a coyote attack goats? One has been spotted in the field behind our barn, the chickens are safe but the goats have a ramp through an old windowless window in the barn and I am worried the coyote will use the ramp to get into the barn. I also have rabbits and pot bellied pigs in there too. I do have a big dog but he sleeps inside the house, not sure if our dogs scent would deter a coyote. Thanks for you help.

Coyotes like all predators are opportunistic hunters. They will take the easiest meal they can. Goats are easy prey to a coyote. To answer your first question, yes, coyotes will attack, kill and eat everything you have posted. I am not sure that the coyote would venture into the barn. They are a little wary when it comes to entering structures. To answer your second question, No, your dogs scent will not deter a coyote. We have a group of guys who run dogs through the field and the coyotes will run with them. The dogs bring the coyotes into the kill zone. So unfortunately the scent won't do anything. A face to face encounter with your dog would.

You can try some detterents. Mothballs and ammonia soaked rags placed in certain areas about your property. The coyotes nose is one of it's most valuable weapons. If the ammonia or mothballs jam it's ability to smell, it will back out of the area. But if those don't work, unfortunately once a coyote finds an easy food source, they will invite their friends and continue to return until the food is no longer available. The best way to deal with that situation is to either find a trapper or depending on the size of your property, invite someone like myself to come in a hunt them.

Coyotes are mostly active during last light, night and early morning up until first light. This being said, if you place a sensor light on your barn that comes on with motion, this might also spook the coyote away.

I belong to some predator hunting sites. They cover more of the hunting aspect of predators. If you are looking for info on specific predators, I would say to do an internet search on what predators you have in your location, read about their habits of feeding, breeding and living. Once you understand the predators, your will be more easily able to protect your livestock.

I don't usually post web site links for predator hunting. There are too many people in society that would rather see me die, than the coyote for some reason.

I will be more than happy to answer as many questions as you ask.

I lost 4 hens last night, not a mark that I could find, the whole body is there, they are just dead. I did have a rabbit dig in under the coop on the north side , and after this, I found where something had dug out from under the coop into the run.... I don't lock the coop up, as I have a totally enclosed run.

We reinforced, set a live trap, but what do you think? Not a real big hole...... not a coon, to small for anything to big.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom