Predicting egg color in Easter Eggers

LuvMahChikies

Chirping
Aug 18, 2015
Georgia
I have two EE pullets who will soon be laying. Just out of curiosity...is there any way one can tell what color eggs they will lay? I know some folks swear by earlobe color, etc, in other breeds, and I didn't know if there was any way to tell with an EE. (Not that it really matters, of course!
big_smile.png
)

No. They are a mix of many breeds so you'll just have to wait and see. Once you mix breeds, you can't tell by looking at the bird what egg shell color genetics are in them except that if Araucana is in their background, blue, green, olive, khaki and brown are all possibilities.

Red earlobes mean brown eggs, white earlobes mean white eggs, EXCEPT - Penedesencas and Empordanesas have white earlobes and lay among the darkest eggs in the world.

If they're actually EEs, they lay something along the blue or olive spectrum. If they don't, they're not EEs.

Where did you get the birds - you can usually have a pretty good idea based on the parents - egg color genetics aren't all that complicated. There will be some variation of course.

Last edited:
I got them from a local farm that raises and sells chickens locally. They actually had them listed as "Ameraucana" but I can definitely tell they are EE's. They are loveable little mutts for sure! Sweetest little chickens in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom