Prefab Coop Question - Sealing the wood

cdombro76

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2023
First I want to ask that no one bad mouth me for not building a custom coop. I'm a first time chicken owner and live in the city. I have no major power tools and no construction experience so I bought a prefab kit. Yes its appropriately sized for my birds and while its from a feed store, it is literally the best I could do presently. Please no hate. :D (Plus I bought a very large extra run for them so they will free roam as they desire to do so).

The first instruction is to apply a wood seal to it so I've applied a coat of poly to every wooden surface. The seal instructions say I need to apply 3-4 MORE coats. For those who know how to do woodworking, is this accurate? And can I opt for the spray on kind of poly or should I continue with the paint on kind? Now you know my basic lack of project knowledge lol good thing I'm competent in animal husbandry :) lol My birds are only 4 weeks old and I'm in Wi so they won't be outside for at least another week or three depending on how the weather looks, so plenty of time for any VOCs to evap.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
What more is the coop? How many birds?
https://www.coopsandfeathers.com/shop/Superior-Hen-Chicken-Coop-p436603600

and I presently have 6 birds but my city only allows 4 (I ordered 4 and they sent 6...) so 2 are going to be rehomed with a friend after they're a bit bigger. I also have a covered run approx 120sqft and am building some 'chicken tunnels' to give them access to more of my yard than the coop and extra run I got.

Really hoping to get help from someone skilled with wood to know how many coats of poly I need to apply. The wood was unsealed but stained when I opened the box.

Back
Top Bottom