PREGGO BUNNY HELP!!

AnconaDuckFarm

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
19 days ago, I bought a doe rabbit from an auction. I put her in with a buck when I got her and she ran away. I tried again today and when he tried to breed she squealed and grunted. She has been laying down more than usual and is being pretty mean! Could I have bought a preggo bunny??

She should be showing signs pretty soon if she is. Bunny usually are
wink.png

Bot we used to have what we thought were two does, went out one day and found a baby...that's when I was a little kid...didn't know much about bunnies but later found out one was a buck...obviously, lol! But anyway, she never got bigger or showed any signs...just one baby.
Then we separated them, the baby was a buck and somehow got in with mama. That time she got huge and showed signs and had four babies. And no, we never would have intentionally bred a baby to his mama. All four of those babies were bucks.
So anyway, it's quite possible your doe's preggo :)

19 days ago, I bought a doe rabbit from an auction. I put her in with a buck when I got her and she ran away. I tried again today and when he tried to breed she squealed and grunted. She has been laying down more than usual and is being pretty mean! Could I have bought a preggo bunny??

It sounds like she is pregnant. Since you really have no way of knowing for sure exactly how far along she is, you should probably give her a nest box now. Better too early than too late. Very disheartening to go out and find a litter of dead babies on the floor of the hutch because there was no nest box.

I would give her a handful of hay and see what she does with it. Most rabbits will play with hay, but the only ones I have ever seen gather up a big mouthful and carry it around were nest-making does. I have had a few that didn't make a nest at all until just minutes before the babies arrive, but most will start nest-making several days before then; they often dig in a corner of the cage as if digging a burrow, too.

Of course, it's possible that you just have a rabbit with a cranky personality, too. I have had a few like that; even some that would attack anyone that dared to put a body part into their cage. Since the normal gestation on a rabbit is about 31 days (give or take a couple), you should know one way or the other within a few days.

I bought a rabbit from an auction years ago and she ended up being pregnant, so anything is possible! That was certainly a scary/excting surprise! She was my first rabbit and I didn't know what the heck to expect when I reached in an touched the pile of fur!

Thanks everyone. I have been watching and she is pregnant...im pretty sure. She looks like she is gonna explode. I will tell you if she has babies!

Back
Top Bottom