Pregnant goat???

Pics

Strawberry74

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
Good evening, I have a question about transabdominal type of ultrasound. Is it very accurate at 4+ months? Has anyone had a false negative? I have a doe who is 5, that had triplets 3 years ago. I ran her with a proven buck (same as last time) from Oct. 2 to Nov. 6, which puts her due from Feb. 24 up to April 10. She is a very hairy, deep carrying fainting goat. No udder yet. She lives with her two 3 year old does and 3 wethers. When the younger girls are in heat she also displays some signs of heat during their last two cycles that I've noticed. I was thinking she was feeding off their hormones in addition to her pregnancy hormones. Have any of you ever had a pregnant doe display heat signs? I finally broke down and took her to my local vet that specializes in horses on Friday for an ultrasound. She determined not pregnant. Just the ultrasound in the back of my jeep. No palpating, etc. I was shocked. She seems the same size if not bigger than last time at 3 weeks before delivering triplets. She bagged up about 3 weeks out last time and lost her plug over the course of a month. Anyway, I really want her to be pregnant and explain these "flukes" away, but don't want to be on a fools errand either. Regardless, I will watch her closely until April 10 to make sure. I would never forgive myself if she kidded on a cold night outside. She was also rolling around on the ground off and on the other day in the pasture. She waddles when she walks. I can't feel babies, but last time I didn't really either. I tried, but could never be certain if it was an actual baby or just tummy rolling. Just looking for experience and wisdom from you all. I have attached some pictures. Oh and the one of the other does that was with her and the buck kidded quads 3 days ago.

1 - 3 years ago, 3 weeks from kidding triplets
2 - October 2022 when she was in with the buck
3 - last week
4 - side view
5 - back view

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20200213_153126.jpg
    20200213_153126.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20230227_121857_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230227_121857_Gallery.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230225_164535.jpg
    20230225_164535.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230210_131721.jpg
    20230210_131721.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230210_164638.jpg
    20230210_164638.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
If she were my goat I would say she looks like she is indeed pregnant again, her pic from the back looks pretty bulgy on the right side. Def. watch her udder. Did the vet clip belly hair away before doing an ultrasound? There have been cases of false ultrasounds, but our vet ultrasounds AND palpates to determine about when the doe is due. Is your vet experienced with goats? I DO know how to feel for babies and have a pygmy carrying a singleton and SHE waddles. I think your doe is pregnant.

I wish I had more info. I am a goat mama, but I've not bred any of my does (and don't plan to). I'm interested in learning, though, if I ever change my plans I'm going to recommend the site The Goat Spot. It's very active - like the BYC for goats. I have nothing against BYH, but I've gone weeks without a reply. The Goat Spot folks will have quick feedback.

If she were my goat I would say she looks like she is indeed pregnant again, her pic from the back looks pretty bulgy on the right side. Def. watch her udder. Did the vet clip belly hair away before doing an ultrasound? There have been cases of false ultrasounds, but our vet ultrasounds AND palpates to determine about when the doe is due. Is your vet experienced with goats? I DO know how to feel for babies and have a pygmy carrying a singleton and SHE waddles. I think your doe is pregnant.
Thank you, I like the way you think! I am trying to be guarded, but still hopeful and watchful. My hubby thinks I am nuts and should just believe the ultrasound. As you can see, after I got over the shock and cried a little, I started having 2nd guesses. My cousin says she is suspicious also. She is a vet tech and has seen false negatives. From what I've read late stage can be very difficult, in addition to technician ability and depth settings of the machine and how the doe carries. I'm in a dark hole here, lol! Been reading way too much. The vet sees goats, but they specialize in equine. She did not shave her and only tried for few minutes.

I still can't explain the heat cycles other than her two 3 year old does were in raging heat at the same time. I have also read that there are some does that will display signs of heat every month throughout their entire pregnancy although not often. Have you ever heard of such a thing? And do you think it's possible?

The buck she was with and impregnated her last time has 4 girls that he services every year and he's never missed the mark yet in 7 years. If she's not pregnant it was definitely not be because of him. This is my last opportunity to breed her with my friend's buck as she is selling her herd this year. I was only going to do it the one time 3 years ago, but figured this is my last opportunity, why not!?

Maybe she'll give me April fool's babies and the laugh will be on all the naysayers🤣

Last edited:
I wish I had more info. I am a goat mama, but I've not bred any of my does (and don't plan to). I'm interested in learning, though, if I ever change my plans I'm going to recommend the site The Goat Spot. It's very active - like the BYC for goats. I have nothing against BYH, but I've gone weeks without a reply. The Goat Spot folks will have quick feedback.
Thanks! I have posted on there. I did before I got the ultrasound and very few people gave their opinion. Really only one. I was disappointed in the response. But there are a lot of posts so they can't get to everyone. After I got the ultrasound, I posted the results and I got a bunch of sorries, but nobody questioned. I guess at that point I thought it was definitive as well. I might go back on and tell everyone I'm questioning the results and see what anybody has to say.

Back
Top Bottom