Premier-1 Poultry Fencing - WARNING

I got the starter kit from Premier 1 and haven't had issues. The first couple of days it was on, the chickens touched it and got shocked, or they tried to squeeze their head through the netting and got the tar knocked out of them.

*If this product is used as intended, it works*

None of my birds get within 6 inches of the fence and it stays charged and on 24/7. I got the more expensive fencing that came with 4 support posts and a solar powered battery to keep it charged all the time. I have a problem with my neighbors not keeping their dogs up like they're supposed to, or walking them down the street without leashes, and another neighbor that lets her 50 billion cats walk around. They've killed chicks and her response is, "I just love watching my cats and your chickens play!"

Mine haven't ever been tangled in it, but it's been electrified since day one. They learn the shock hurts and stay away. I've had to spray grass killer around the base of the wire it works so well

I got the starter kit from Premier 1 and haven't had issues. The first couple of days it was on, the chickens touched it and got shocked, or they tried to squeeze their head through the netting and got the tar knocked out of them.

*If this product is used as intended, it works*

None of my birds get within 6 inches of the fence and it stays charged and on 24/7. I got the more expensive fencing that came with 4 support posts and a solar powered battery to keep it charged all the time. I have a problem with my neighbors not keeping their dogs up like they're supposed to, or walking them down the street without leashes, and another neighbor that lets her 50 billion cats walk around. They've killed chicks and her response is, "I just love watching my cats and your chickens play!"

Mine haven't ever been tangled in it, but it's been electrified since day one. They learn the shock hurts and stay away. I've had to spray grass killer around the base of the wire it works so well

Same here.

I have had chicks up to 8-10 weeks popping through the wire as elsewhere described but nobody ever got stuck.

A chicken can get stuck in any kind of mesh fence, electric or not, and die there if it's ribs are constrained because chickens breathe with their ribs.

Same here.

I have had chicks up to 8-10 weeks popping through the wire as elsewhere described but nobody ever got stuck.

A chicken can get stuck in any kind of mesh fence, electric or not, and die there if it's ribs are constrained because chickens breathe with their ribs.

Agreed completely.

My momma hen has brooded in the electric fence and her chicks now avoid the fence. I don't even remember her getting within a foot of it with the babies.

I am afraid over 15+ birds (bantams and chicks) have figured out how to squeeze through the fencing and run around in the area of our yard that is NOT intended for chickens. I don’t know what to do.
I think it’s worth it to electrify it. I get so frustrated when I come home to a messed up garden that takes me hours a day to maintain when the chickens get into it.
same issue here. I have 3 wire elec fence. I fenced out the garden with chicken wire and stakes. the elec fence doesn’t keep chickens in but living in predator land it will sure as Hell keep the coyotes, bear and others out of the coop area, and when nobody is home they DO stay in the perimeter if the fence. I run a 1.2 joule low impedance fence. one of my dogs tested it for me and that stubborn canine hid under the deck for an hour..he thinks the chickens did it yo him because he very obviously changes direction when he sees a chicken coming his way. funny but nit funny at same time, but hey…it works!

Warning: electricity does not 100% prevent birds from getting caught. If the birds are spooked they will run straight into the netting. I’ve found three birds this year stuck in the lit netting. They appeared to have been stuck for hours. It is a pretty horrific thing. They do eventually learn, but electrifying is not a 100% fix. Just a heads up. If you possibly can be nearby while the birds are being trained or put a camera on it, it will save some heartache. The netting is a great way to keep your birds safe, but there can be some nasty issues caused by birds being tangled in the lit netting.

Warning: electricity does not 100% prevent birds from getting caught. If the birds are spooked they will run straight into the netting. I’ve found three birds this year stuck in the lit netting. They appeared to have been stuck for hours. It is a pretty horrific thing. They do eventually learn, but electrifying is not a 100% fix. Just a heads up. If you possibly can be nearby while the birds are being trained or put a camera on it, it will save some heartache. The netting is a great way to keep your birds safe, but there can be some nasty issues caused by birds being tangled in the lit netting.

Yes, this is true.

But if you're diligent about keeping the netting stretched TIGHT -- adding additional posts where necessary (perhaps due to uneven ground) -- it very much reduces the chance of them getting caught. They bounce off tight netting rather than getting entangled.

I use this type of fencing for my birds and my goats. I have for several years. A fawn got stuck one night after a fallen branch severed the connection to the energizer. We found him in the morning and freed him. But I've had it for years with no problems - even when a bear caused damage to my car and my neighbor's apiaries, it left my birds and my goats alone. When I have chicks, I keep them contained in the run until they are too big to fit. I haven't yet lost any birds - or goats, for that matter - to predators or accidents (knock on wood!).

I'll add, too, that a few giant oaks fell on it and it STILL worked once we got the trees removed. I HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you have uneven land or intend to rotate your flock's yard.
20211228_115204.jpg
20211228_115125.jpg

Back
Top Bottom