Preparing for ducklings

Lor

Crowing
Mar 23, 2022
South East USA
Ordered some ducklings. Hatch date is May 8, so should arrive the 9th or 10th.
1. I have some Poultry Cell here. Wondering if that would be ok to add to their water the first day to help them or should something else be used?
2. For those who have had ducklings shipped, should I open the box and try to give them some water before heading home from the post office or the 15 minutes or so won't matter?
Had ducklings shipped for the first time 5 years ago and one didn't arrive alive. This is stressful to me (and them).
I live in the south and it's usually pretty warm this time of year. Wouldn't you know it's going to be in the 50's during the day and 40's at night (and rainy) when the ducklings arrive. I had planned to brood them outside on the back deck this time. I might have to make new plans. Decisions. Decisions.
3. Any tips for outdoor brooding?

I'd get them drinking right off which they will most likely do anyway.
What breed? Just be sure to start them off with warmish water not cold for their first week.

I'd get them drinking right off which they will most likely do anyway.
What breed? Just be sure to start them off with warmish water not cold for their first week.
Khaki Campbell.

We have 2 of the original 4 (5 yrs) and thought to add a few. One was killed last year by a possum (which was surprising). One died a few weeks ago from health issues she had since a year old. Poor 2 girls left do an awful lot of quacking these days. Mainly because they are locked in the pond area and want out. Bought a 10x10 pen (for safety) to give them more room for foraging but it isn't set up yet.

I was considering silver appleyards but figured it best to get ducks of similar size and the khakis are better camoflauged. ;)

The 10x10 pen is set up. Will be making a tunnel of some sort for ducks to get from pond area to the pen.
Have a smaller pen inside the 10x10 for ducklings to get outdoor time and be near the older ones. Lots of plants in there. (Ivy, elephant ears and what not).
Should anything be pulled out that they might eat?
Is there something that can be used around the bottom to keep them from getting out between the bars other than more wire and lots of zip ties? LOL Or... how small of a hole can they squeeze through if a few days / week old?

Attachments

• IMG_4817.JPG
    IMG_4817.JPG
    829.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4818.JPG
    IMG_4818.JPG
    823.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom