Preparing for processing

Should you "starve" them? A lot of people take the feed away 12 hours before butchering that way they aren't full of poop and they aren't wasting feed.

Before my husband processed our 2 cornish roasters he withheld the food for about a day and then processed them.

It's much easier to butcher if the crops are not full of feed, or the intestines full of poo. It can take me any where from 10 to 30 minutes long when we don't will hold feed before butchering. But of course we don't go the fastest when we butcher, it takes us 45 minutes to an hour per bird some times.

Tom

It's much easier to butcher if the crops are not full of feed, or the intestines full of poo. It can take me any where from 10 to 30 minutes long when we don't will hold feed before butchering. But of course we don't go the fastest when we butcher, it takes us 45 minutes to an hour per bird some times.

WOW 45 mins ??? Per Bird ??? You must be hand plucking them ?? We average about 3-5 minutes per bird that is from the cage to the chill tank. and that is at a normal not rushed pace

Yes you want to hold their feed back. Wed hold it back for 24 hrs. But give them all the water they normally would have. We just lock them up in the house at night like normal, just the next day don't open the door. Then the night before we go out and gather the birds and put them in the carriers and wait for day break of the following day.

If you don't hold the feed back their crops will be full and make a huge mess, plus they will not be all cleaned out in side ( poop) and this can be bad on the meat and of course it is not very pleasing. It just makes the whole job better in every way to hold back their feed.​

Thanks for all the replies!
We withheld food from the two roosters for about 18 hours. The crop was barely noticeable having been a first timer. The gizzard was full of pebbles and straw... the pooper wasn't empty but wasn't messy either.

The whole process took about an hour. Once we get the setup to flow better I'm sure it'll go a little faster. Hand plucking was my favorite part... it was just too weird seeing a somewhat cute feathery thing turn into something I would eat.

Back
Top Bottom