Preparing the coup for winter

I live near Carrollton GA, which is due west of Atlanta almost to the Alabama border. That means I'm probably a little further south than you and a little higher elevation. It is good to know that you don't worry too much about the cold. This summer has been so mild I am kinda worried about the winter! But the little chickens do have nice feather coats to keep them warm.
The only time I've seen lice around where we live is about 10 years ago when some wild birds infected some horses (weird, huh?) But Sevin dust treated them too. What is Sweet PDZ? Is that like the lime that folks put down in horses' stall to keep it dry? Can you tell 99.9% of my farm experience has been with equines?! LOL And what is ACV? Does that help with worms or digestion or what?
I know most of the people that live around here have had chickens for years and years. And I don't know anybody that has talked about mites or other scary disease. But reading posts on here has me a bit paranoid!
Funny, the tiny rural town (population less than 200) I live in is Carlton, and always gets confused with Carrollton!
Remember the 'monster' (for us) snowstorms we've gotten in the past few winters? I still didn't do anything any different and my chickens were fine, even in the one where we got almost 10".
If I ever see lice or mites, I'll treat with sevin as I view the DE as preventative only and not nearly strong enough for an infestation.
I get Sweet PDZ at Tractor Supply in the horse section to help keep the stall dry. I'm not really sure what it is, but it definitely helps dry things out. It is a white powdery substance, and I get the 'larger' granulated form, but it still looks very much like powder. The only farm animals I have experience with are chickens, and I get confused about the different types of lime. I know the wrong kind can burn severely. I've only used garden lime to get the hydrangeas to bloom pink instead of blue!
ACV is apple cider vinegar. It only has probiotic value if it has the 'mother'. I get it at the grocery store or Wal-Mart. It is more expensive than the regular pasteurized and filtered ACV, but well worth it. You can stretch it by adding the cheaper ACV when the bottle is about half empty (at least that's what I do). You'll know you've gotten the right ACV if its cloudy instead of clear. The 'mother' will settle on the bottom; shake the bottle and it'll disperse, making it look cloudy. I make sure to shake the bottle before adding to their drinking water. There are a lot of threads on here about ACV if you want to learn more about it. Many people drink it themselves as well as give it to their livestock. Of course there are folks who swear by it and others who think it has zero benefits. I don't think I've found anyone saying it had any negative effects. It does almost eliminate the green algae and slime in the waterers, so if it doesn't hurt them, I'll keep using it for that benefit alone!
Yes, reading the posts on here can make you paranoid! There is such diversity on this site, it can sometimes be hard to 'take what you need' and 'leave the rest', especially if you're brand new to chickens. The more experience you get, the easier it will be to know 'what you need'. Personally, I think you got into chickens at the right time. Summer here is just harder on them. Most 'organisms' (like cocci) seem to flourish in hot damp weather. Mosquitoes are more plentiful, more wild birds around to spread all kinds of stuff. Spring litters of all kinds of predators are getting older and hunting for new food sources. You'll be bunches more able to take all that on after a few months of having your chickens. You'll know what 'normal' behavior looks like and spot early on if someone's just 'not right'.

Chicken newbie here. I have 6 chickens and they all seem healthy and happy (of course I've only had them a week, so I know that can change). But now I am looking at how to prepare my coup for winter. I live in GA (USA) so it doesn't get super cold here, but I was still considering doing "heavy bedding" (is that what it is called when you just put new wood chips on the old to increase the heat in the coup?) Anyway, I am asking if I should put a layer of DE in the coup and in the nesting boxes under the shavings and straw. Also, should I worm the chickens? If so, with what product? Should I dust the chickens with sevin dust to prevent mites and lice? I don't seem to have any problems yet and I want to prevent the icky stuff if possible!!
Thanks for any advice!!!

There's already a very good thread on winterizing here.
Lots of good ideas and scenarios.

LOL- I actually live about 30 minutes south of Carrollton in a no-mans-land between Roosterville, Centralhatchee, and Franklin GA. Very rural and LOVE it! We moved here from the heart of Augusta GA last year and I am so much happier. Even if I do have to drive 20 minutes to a Wal-Mart.
Yep- that Sweet PDV sounds like the lime we use for horses stalls. I've had horses for 20 years but I have always boarded them so I didn't know the brand name of that stuff. And believe me, if it is safe for horses it couldn't possibly hurt a chicken. Horses are on full time suicide missions. I have no idea how they ever survived in the wild!
And I will have to get some ACV. I hadn't heard of that before, but it sounds like a fairly simple preventative. About how much do you add to your water? I have a 3 gallon water tank that I have been refilling every few days.
I know that I have to keep in mind that people post here from all over the world and problems with chickens (or anything for that matter) are very localized. I guess I just see a lot of people around where I live that I feel like "neglect" their pets. Herds of feral cats, chickens living their lives in dog crates, dogs running in the road. I strongly believe that if I go out of my way to get an animal that I need to take decent care of it!
Oh- and I dread mosquito season. We live near a creek and we can't go outside without bug spray. Fun times!

Whoa- reading through that thread has me thanking GOD that I live in GA!! Really not worried about my chickens getting too cold now! We have some nights that get below the freezing mark- but not many. If we had that kind of snow.... whoa... thinking of it makes my head hurt....

And I will have to get some ACV. I hadn't heard of that before, but it sounds like a fairly simple preventative. About how much do you add to your water? I have a 3 gallon water tank that I have been refilling every few days.
I use about one tablespoon per gallon. When you first start using it they may turn up their noses, so you might want to start with a weaker solution and gradually increase it to that strength.
Herds of feral cats, chickens living their lives in dog crates, dogs running in the road.
These things seem to be all over the rural areas (and some not so rural ones) here in the south. I was born and raised here and I've never understood the ones who let their dogs loose when they go to bed!! Family dogs are my biggest predator issue here. In one night, my flock was reduced to 2 from 18 (yeah, I refer to it as The Massacre) by neighbors' dogs. Of course no one would admit it was 'their' dogs. That happened about a year ago, and I've really seen a reduction in the number of dogs running loose since then, but my 6'4" 300lb 'mad as a wet hen' hubby went door to door warning the neighbors that some of our older, seldom driven vehicles tend to leak lots of antifreeze underneath them and he was using open pans to help keep it from soaking into the ground. Told every one of them he was sure they didn't let their dogs roam at night, but since some folks do, he is warning everyone. Then he went and put pans under some of them. Of course there's no antifreeze in them, but the neighbors don't know that...

I am going to the grocery store tomorrow so I will look for ACV then! And I knew when I moved here that neglected animals are a problem. Heck, my uncle is a big offender and there isn't anything I can even do about that. Two days ago somebody dumped a starving, limping, sick, un-altered dog at our house. Of course he is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Lord help me, I can't keep from offering him food. You don't need a dog do you? I could drive it to you! LOL
Usually our 100lb boxer keeps all the neighbor dogs and cats run off, but this one was too pathetic to go anywhere else.

Umm...no on the dog...LOL! I have one tiny dachshund and he's not fond of other dogs. I have taken to irregular feedings for a stray cat that showed up and looked like she wanted to be a barn cat that was not interested in my chickens in the least. I've had problems with mice in the past and have noticed a huge reduction in their population with her around. The other night she came up on the deck and started meowing, acting like she wants in the house...that will defeat the purpose of a barn cat...she doesn't seem to understand...I keep saying 'no, you're not coming in the house'...hubby keeps laughing like he knows something I don't...

Added a rain/ snow cover for the coming winter

Back
Top Bottom