Preparing to use a water heater while away on winter holiday. Feedback? Extension cord danger/tips?

VeggieGoneEggie

Songster
Mar 25, 2017
Land of Enchantment
My DH and I will be spending about a week away visiting family over the holidays, and sadly we have to leave our flock at home without us.:hit I've arranged for a friend to come daily to throw treats to the chickies and collect eggs.

There's a chance that the chickens' water could freeze during this time. We're in the Southwest but high mountain desert. E.g., right now we're enjoying highs in the 40s-low 50s and lows in the 20s (Fahrenheit). But earlier this week, we had a couple days in a row where it didn't go above freezing at all. So obviously, late December temperatures are likely to be similar.

Rather than ask my friend to also haul water from inside our house and exchange with the coop waterer several times a day, I decided to go ahead and order a couple of water heaters for our waterers.

> We'll have two of these waterers in the coop: https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...Nipple-Drinker-5-Gallons-6-nipples-p1858.aspx

> And these are the heaters: https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Supplies/Perfect-Bucket-Heater-De-Icer-p2402.aspx

So I have two questions:

(1) Just wondering if anyone has used this particular water heater before and has any feedback (I'm realizing now I should have asked BEFORE I ordered, but alas...)?

(2) I was well aware that heat lamps are big fire risks, and I do not heat my coop - but I just stumbled upon something that insinuated it's the use of an extension cord itself that creates a potential fire risk. The water heaters will have to be plugged in via an extension cord reaching from our garage (that's the only outlet within reach). Are there any tips to making sure this arrangement is not likely to result in any fire/electrocution concerns?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom! :bow

I would do this. In the reviews people say it is fine to 20-30 below zero. I have one similar to this and it seems to work, and will greatly reduce the risk of fire. Depending on the number of hens and how warm the coop stays I wouldn't use a heat lamp. I live in Wisconsin and had 9 chickens in one coop that was not heated and they were fine when it was 20 below. Now this year I have 20 girls so they should be super warm.

You should be fine. I’ve used a similar heater for chickens for years, and decades for cattle without ever having an issue. Both are on extension cords about 100ft Long.

This cast aluminum heater looks safer than the plastic ones.
JT
Wonders if this one will turn off if it's not covered in water....even tho that is not mentioned either way in the product description.

@VeggieGoneEggie are your birds using nipples now?
It can take a while for them to catch on, I've seen some catch on in two minutes, and others a take up to two weeks to 'get it'. I advise against training from open waterers to nipples when weather is extreme(hot or cold) when dehydration can have dire consequences.

Wonders if this one will turn off if it's not covered in water....even tho that is not mentioned either way in the product description.

@VeggieGoneEggie are your birds using nipples now?
It can take a while for them to catch on, I've seen some catch on in two minutes, and others a take up to two weeks to 'get it'. I advise against training from open waterers to nipples when weather is extreme(hot or cold) when dehydration can have dire consequences.

I would think that it is thermostat controlled so water or air won't matter.

The one I have (different kind) the instructions said to put it in the freezer for a while then plug it in. The heater should come on for a couple of seconds then click off, this test is done out of water.

When I changed from the messy waterer you see in the farm stores to a nipple waterer I took the waterer out for a couple of hours then placed just the empty red bottom under the nipple. Within 5 minutes they all had it figure out. Most were pecking at the red bottom till one pecked at the shiny thing.

JT

Back
Top Bottom