prepping a previously-used run for new chicks

gadus

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2015
Maine
I have a dozen chicks which are several weeks old and I've just moved them outside to a brooder contained in a portion of the run I use for the adults; the runs are now entirely separate and the adults have not used the "chicks only" portion of the run for a week now. It will be several weeks before I let the chicks out, so it will end up being roughly a month's time where the run is unused.

In the meantime, is there anything I need to do to make the run "healthy"? What kind of cross "contamination" if any should I be on the lookout for? I've already made the place reasonably critter-proof but I'm wondering if there are other less tangible concerns?

Thanks.

From the big to little girls, it's actually good for them to have some crossing of germs, it helps them get used to their new environment!

Will these chicks eventually be integrated with the current adults? If so, then I would do nothing to the run except scoop up any obvious piles of poop.

I like for my chicks to be exposed very early to dirt they will be on. First week of life, I add a small tub of dirt that is "clean" from the yard, mixed with "dirty" sifted dirt from the runs and usually some ash and plug of sod if they are in a brooder.

If the run is secure and the chicks can't get through the wire, I would let them into "chicks only" portion of the run now. They will learn to go back to shelter for heat if they need it.

Just be sure the run is chick proof. They can squirt through incredibly small spaces. I'd consider the poo left behind by your old flock to be an added bonus. Unless your old flock had disease issues.

If you have not yet converted your run to deep litter, now is a good time to do so. You also might want to be sure your chicks have grit.
Good idea; I took your advice and have been dumping fall leaf piles into the run but there are still many piles still cluttering up the back yard. As for grit, I can probably just throw some grit in with the feed?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom