Prepping for new arrival

Louise Waffles

Chirping
Feb 1, 2017
I'm getting a lone silkie rooster from a BYC member, he's been shipped and due to arrive today. I have a quarantine A-frame coop in a yard not adjacent to my main chicken yard. He will stay in the coop while I'm gone (not very often) and have the run of the yard during the day. The coop is not secure for nighttime use, so he'll be roosting in my bathroom in a big bird cage. I have placed an order for 4 silkie chicks due to arrive in three weeks. I'll then have the brooder in the laundry room, and let the silkie rooster roost in the laundry room so they can get used to each other but not get TO each other. When the silkie chicks are big enough to move outside, I will keep them separate but visible, until I am sure everyone will be sweet or able to defend themselves/get away. I've had a silkie rooster before and he was nothing but sweet and never hurt any of the babies, but I know they're all individuals, so.... Am I missing anything? Any advice much appreciated!

I would keep the rooster away from the chicks initially. You probably shouldn't introduce them to him until the hens begin to actively lay eggs, than I would introduce him, before that age I wouldn't trust him with them.

I have no other silkie hens. I have some other hens that he will be able to hang out with when his quarantine is up, but I ordered the silkies so he could have his own flock of his own kind when the chicks have grown enough to live with him.

Back
Top Bottom