Prepping the run/yard for winter(Which bedding Combo?)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I've started prepping for when winter gets here and I've already completed the coop, I just need to finish with the run/yard.
Before I ask for feedback, I'd like to say that I'll be using 2 different types of bedding. One will be pellet bedding that will be laid down first and then the other will either be shavings or straw.
I've found that doing a combination of both pellets and straw/shavings has really worked well for the run/yard so I'll be sticking with doing combinations for the future. I'm just not sure which combo will work well for winter.
I'm just looking for feedback on which combo to go with. Very simple.

Thanks in advance! ❤️

1. Dry Den + Straw
2. Dry Den + Pine Shavings
3. Dry Den + Micro Fir Shavings
4. Natures Bedding + Straw
5. Natures Bedding + Pine Shavings
6. Natures Bedding + Micro Fir Shavings

Which one should I go with?

Is your run covered or not covered? I'm in your climate. My run is not covered so anything other than sand and wood chips (not shavings,) gets gross eventually, especially hay, wood pellets and straw. I'm thinking your run is covered.... ?? I'm also thinking it's not very big? Even still Wood chips/play chips are the best bedding in my opinion but a little more info. on your run would be helpful.

Is your run covered or not covered? I'm in your climate. My run is not covered so anything other than sand and wood chips (not shavings,) gets gross eventually, especially hay, wood pellets and straw. I'm thinking your run is covered.... ?? I'm also thinking it's not very big? Even still Wood chips/play chips are the best bedding in my opinion but a little more info. on your run would be helpful.
It is covered
They have a large run but I only cover one side with bedding so that they have a spot during summer to cool their feet

Okay thanks, covered changes everything. You can pretty much use whatever you want. Sideways rain in our area though.... Could get wet. Still I think you're good to go whatever you chose. I have very sandy soil and I put wood chips on top, I never have drainage problems. If your run is at a low point and will take in water I would just stay away from that which will get mushy and stinky - wood pellets, hay, straw....

Back
Top Bottom