Pressure treated wood

The coop should be 100% dry inside so I think plain old fir would be quite adequate.
You could use PT lumber for anything exposed to the weather. Anything exposed to the ground I would surely used PT.
These are the rules I followed that resulted in using PT lumber for only the run's gate and gate frame construction.

However, you will get loads of opinions on PT wood. While there isn't any evidence of harm to gardens and animals and people and such, alot of folks simply prefer to keep chemicals away from their gardens and livestock. And there is the notion that we can't really be 100% sure that there isn't a problem. Seems reasonable to me either way. In the end it's a personal decision.

Here is my experience...

Coop. Plain painted wood for coop. The floor framing are PT and also elevated on concrete blocks. The whole thing stays dry and no problems at all for 6 years so far.

Run. Mix of plain and PT wood, unpainted. Moisture will accelerate deterioration, especially at the bottom where leaves, soil and snow tend to accumulate. After 6 years, some plain wood has to be replaced. PT look weathered but still solid.

Back
Top Bottom