Pressurized line for nipple waterers

Wellsken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 29, 2018
Burley Idaho
I have been looking at setting up a nipple watering system for my girls. I have a pressurized line that runs about twenty five feet away, and would take little effort to run a shallow trench into their run, and set up a nipple watering system for them. My question is this: Does anyone know if chickens can operate a nipple waterer if I have it operating under pressure? Most I have seen constructed are gravity feed, so I am not sure if they can handle the pressure of my system.

The nipples aren't designed for significant pressure. For one thing, the nipple's plastic screw end is fairly soft and somewhat conical shaped and I'd be concerned about them pushing out under pressure. You could go ahead and try the setup with the understanding it is an experiment and may fail.

If you have a way to run the pipe into a reservoir that could automatically open/close from your feed line and then gravity feed to the nipples, that might be a good solution.

Pressurized nipples are not going to work.... but you can have a setup like mine.

I have a high pressure line going into a float (toilet) valve inside of a bucket. The float maintains a constant level in the bucket (not under pressure). Then the bucket gravity drains into a pvc pipe with nipples in it...

Here's some pics. Check out post # 10
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-2-0.1231366/

Back
Top Bottom