Prevention / Cures for Tapeworm or any worms really

Thank you all for the help! My main question now is, can a roundworm get that long? I've looked up pictures now and the color is right but it was much longer than a normal 3in. roundworm that I'm seeing for chickens. I didn't see any obvious segmenting on the worm but it was in some blood or real intestinal lining wrapped around it. Maybe I should find it!
Also I should mention I use ACV in their water all the time and feed them yogurt on a regular basis, though I haven't in the last couple weeks!
Thanks for the dosages, I heard you were trying Z Gold (forgot the exact name) in another post for tapeworms Dawg, are you recommending the Valzaben since we're unsure? Also should we reconsider free ranving while it's raining so much? You must live in a wet environment as well!
Thank you all again! Just thankful I can't unwittingly catch worms!

Thank you all for the help! My main question now is, can a roundworm get that long? I've looked up pictures now and the color is right but it was much longer than a normal 3in. roundworm that I'm seeing for chickens. I didn't see any obvious segmenting on the worm but it was in some blood or real intestinal lining wrapped around it. Maybe I should find it!
Also I should mention I use ACV in their water all the time and feed them yogurt on a regular basis, though I haven't in the last couple weeks!
Thanks for the dosages, I heard you were trying Z Gold (forgot the exact name) in another post for tapeworms Dawg, are you recommending the Valzaben since we're unsure? Also should we reconsider free ranving while it's raining so much? You must live in a wet environment as well!
Thank you all again! Just thankful I can't unwittingly catch worms!
Go ahead and use valbazen even if it's roundworms. Valbazen kills all types of worms that chickens can get. 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose in 10 days. Dont use zimectrin gold to go after roundworms. I use z-gold for stubborn cases of tapeworms.
If you live in the south, the soil is worm soup...that's just the way it is. Chickens WILL get worms rain or shine!

Last edited:
So it is possible to have a roundworm that long?? Thanks for the help! Can I eat the meat of a chicken with worms??

So it is possible to have a roundworm that long?? Thanks for the help! Can I eat the meat of a chicken with worms??
The longest large roundworm I've seen is about 6 inches. I wouldnt eat the meat if they've been given a wormer. Worms are normally located in the digestive tract....I dont recommend eating their guts LOL.

Last edited:
Especially after that picture! Lol! It looks just like those so I'm assuming that's what it was...thanks for the help and I'm glad you've seen a 6chicken inch one! Makes me feel better deciding, I know textbooks aren't always right!

This may be kinda gross...then again, the above picture...humm, When will I start seeing worms in their poop? I'm assuming that's how I'll know the stuff is working? I found another smaller one today but no more and I'm just using the cayenne and garlic...I'm assuming this is consequential, but wondering if we use meds what to expect...

I have some pullets and a roo they are 13, 9 & 8 weeks old. Is there a regular preventative that I should be giving them for worms? I haven't noticed any in the poop. which I clean and look over daily, but I want to prevent them from ever being a problem if I can. Thanks!

This may be kinda gross...then again, the above picture...humm, When will I start seeing worms in their poop? I'm assuming that's how I'll know the stuff is working? I found another smaller one today but no more and I'm just using the cayenne and garlic...I'm assuming this is consequential, but wondering if we use meds what to expect...
If there's an infestation, worms can be excreted because one or two died or there's no more room in the digestive tract (see the photo above.)...then there's only one way to go...out the rear end. Natural products may help prevent, but are ineffective treating when there's an infestation. When you see worms in feces, it's usually an infestation and alot of damage has been done to the intestinal lining/wall in the digestive tract.
Once a wormer has been introduced, worms are either paralyzed or killed and release their hold on the intestinal wall. They are either digested as protein or excreted. You may or may not see worms excreted after the bird is wormed.

I have some pullets and a roo they are 13, 9 & 8 weeks old. Is there a regular preventative that I should be giving them for worms? I haven't noticed any in the poop. which I clean and look over daily, but I want to prevent them from ever being a problem if I can. Thanks!
Your soil conditions dictate how often you should worm. Warm moist or wet soil may require frequent wormings. Dry desertlike or cold mountainous or rocky soils may require less.

Back
Top Bottom