Prickly pear thief?

I think cmom is on the right track with gopher tortoise. Can you post a pic of the bite marks?
It's kind of difficult to tell now because the cactus has since dried/healed where the animal bit it and I cleaned up the rest of the paddles. Here's a semi decent picture though 😅.

This paddle was about a foot off the ground. Not sure if a tortoise could reach that high?

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_150259144.jpg
    IMG_20211119_150259144.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 4
I finally have an update! Amazon had a sale, and I got a really nice mini trail cam for $40.

Set it out last night facing the hole and partially eaten cactus. And caught the thing red handed! I wish I could upload from the trail cam here. I'm still figuring out how to get snap shots off it.

Shots loaded and it was probably the biggest, fattest rat I've ever seen. Just chilling on the cactus eating away! I was so shocked because I haven't had any feed or eggs go missing. He's just eating the cactus for some reason. So odd!

I'm setting out a trap tonight to hopefully catch him. Will update when I catch his furry butt! (And hopefully any friends he may have).

Back
Top Bottom