Prince has a bad knee.

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
A lady on Hatchaholics Anonymous on FaceBook posted this picture and I am taking advantage of it because I didn't know there was a picture like this.

See where I have circled the knee(?)? Prince is a Cornish Cross mix rooster who has a bad knee. He is not heavy like his mother but he is heavier than his father a Welsummer rooster. I am thinking it might be dislocated and I wonder if there is anything/anyway that I can correct this myself? It is swollen and warm to the touch. It has been this way for a while but we have no vets to treat birds around here and he has been able to get around hopping and using it for balance. Something has changed and his foot is turning inward, his toes/talons are normal, not curling or anything but he is not using it as much as he was.

Please, I don't want to put him down unless there is absolutely no other way. He doesn't seem in pain unless he tries to use it.

You can try the procedure what I do in this link: I've had good success with hens, not so good with roosters: See post #2.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/567392/can-a-chicken-sprain-its-leg-update

I read the thread and thank you but it won't help. He has been injured for some time but it was just yesterday that I noticed he is standing on it less and that it is turning inward.

I was hoping for someone to know how to pop it back into place like a human's dislocated shoulder. He is really sweet and a pet so I want to avoid putting him down if I can but it really looks like it is painful. He is clear eyed and clear headed but I think that leg has got to hurt, he is putting it on the ground less than he was and that is even considering that it could have gotten arthritis in it.

I have read the links and several more too. I think it might be a rotated something, I forgot the name of it but it requires surgery and there are no vets around here who can/will do it. These are not good pictures as I was trying to hold him and take them at the same time.
This is his bad knee. You can't see much because of the feathers but it is swollen to the inside.

This is his good knee but I noticed today that the bad knee isn't as swollen as it has been.

This is how he stands around. He can put it on the ground for balance but just barely. He uses his wings for balance more than his foot and he sits a lot. He hops to the food and water dishes.

Back
Top Bottom