Privett hatchery birds.

I bought some Penedesenca chicks from Privett and they have been laying very well, and much darker eggs than I expected from hatchery stock. I get 4 to 7 eggs a day from 7 pullets. They were straight run (I wanted males to make a breeding flock) and I only lost 1 chick during what turned out to be a bad year for chick mortality among many other breeds. In the past I also bought California Greys from Privett and I recommend them, for at least those breeds.

@dheltzel which color variety penedesenca does privett give?

@dheltzel which color variety penedesenca does privett give?
They are Partridge. Their combs are not correct, they really look like Welsummers with dark legs. Some of the pullets have light legs and could pass for Welsummers easily. The roos have large wattles, like Leghorns though.
When I called before ordering, they told me they were Wheaten. I'm not complaining, but Wheaten Penes are much rarer and I was hoping.

They are Partridge. Their combs are not correct, they really look like Welsummers with dark legs. Some of the pullets have light legs and could pass for Welsummers easily. The roos have large wattles, like Leghorns though.
When I called before ordering, they told me they were Wheaten. I'm not complaining, but Wheaten Penes are much rarer and I was hoping.

Thanks.

I got my 4 gals from Privett (through a local feed store) - 3 Easter Eggers and a Welsummer. All were laying between 18-22 weeks. Very sweet chickens with lots of personality! I've attached a couple pictures of the eggs we've gotten. (The picture of the 4 eggs is one from each bird.)
I've been very happy with my ladies - good luck with your search!

Eggs1.jpg Eggs2.jpg

I got my 4 gals from Privett (through a local feed store) - 3 Easter Eggers and a Welsummer. All were laying between 18-22 weeks. Very sweet chickens with lots of personality! I've attached a couple pictures of the eggs we've gotten. (The picture of the 4 eggs is one from each bird.)
I've been very happy with my ladies - good luck with your search!

View attachment 1226770 View attachment 1226771

Those are very nice! Thank you for sharing.

I *think* the feed store where I have bought my chicks uses Privett. They are all great with two exceptions:
1. My New Hampshire Red was a bit on the small side started laying internally at just one year old.
2. My Silver Laced Wyandotte is quite small and has a straight comb. She seems healthy, though, and is adorable.
3. My Blue Laced Red Wyandotte is a “fake” in that her red is not that deep mahogany and her blue is almost white. She is still beautiful, loves to sit in my lap, and seems to be one of themost robust girls in the flock.

My three remaining hens from 2016 (Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Brown Leghorn) are all in great shape, as are my six 2017 pullets (Light Brahma, Speckled Sussex, Buff Zoroington, Buckeye, plus the Wyandottes Ivalready mentioned) at least so far.

I *think* the feed store where I have bought my chicks uses Privett. They are all great with two exceptions:
1. My New Hampshire Red was a bit on the small side started laying internally at just one year old.
2. My Silver Laced Wyandotte is quite small and has a straight comb. She seems healthy, though, and is adorable.
3. My Blue Laced Red Wyandotte is a “fake” in that her red is not that deep mahogany and her blue is almost white. She is still beautiful, loves to sit in my lap, and seems to be one of themost robust girls in the flock.

My three remaining hens from 2016 (Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Brown Leghorn) are all in great shape, as are my six 2017 pullets (Light Brahma, Speckled Sussex, Buff Zoroington, Buckeye, plus the Wyandottes Ivalready mentioned) at least so far.

Thank you for the info! I thought about giving the blue laced red Wyandotte from there a try.

Also, what is internally laying? I've never heard of that and it doesn't sound good!

Internal laying is sort of like ectopic pregnancy, but the egg isn’t fertile. When the chicken ovulates, the yolk drops into the abdomen instead of being taken up in the oviduct. Build up of yolks in the abdomen can become infected or cause other problems. My girl ended up with Egg Yolk Peritonitis and maybe Salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct).
The photo is a bit blurry, but here’s Lucky, my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, in case you’d like to see her coloring. She’s one of the higher ranked pullets. Very confident and strong.
1C9E91EB-7F04-4750-94B2-05FE6077390C.jpeg

Internal laying is sort of like ectopic pregnancy, but the egg isn’t fertile. When the chicken ovulates, the yolk drops into the abdomen instead of being taken up in the oviduct. Build up of yolks in the abdomen can become infected or cause other problems. My girl ended up with Egg Yolk Peritonitis and maybe Salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct).
The photo is a bit blurry, but here’s Lucky, my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, in case you’d like to see her coloring. She’s one of the higher ranked pullets. Very confident and strong.
View attachment 1231113

Thanks for the info! That sounds terrible actually. Poor girl! I think you're Wyandotte is very pretty though! Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom