Problem With Frozen Poop!!

Chickie Mamma

Farmer at Heart
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Sherman, CT
Hello, this winter has been sooo cold here. I am having a big problem keeping the coop clean.
sickbyc.gif
Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep a coop sanitary when everything is frozen? I don't want health problems and I can't get a hose out there (frozen). The outside enclosed area is just disgusting. I am planning to build a new coop for the spring and will make it easier to clean. But until then, is there anything I can do or can I leave it alone ? Thanks..

Frozen poo? It's been sub zero for it seems like forever and no frozen poo issues. What is causing everything to freeze? Is your coop too humid or is there a waterer leaking somewhere? I use pine shavings with a handful or two of cedar thrown in for odor control and it stays unfrozen.

jeremy

I use pine shavings too, the outside area may get damp being it is outside, its covered though. I guess its getting too moist out there and all the poop is freezing. I usually rake out the run every week, but with the freezing temps, its all frozen..

I agree with enola- we just let it all "chill" until it gets warm enought to scrape and sanitize. I go by smell- the frozen coop is not a place where bacteria proliferate imo.

The bedding does help. I have poop freeze in my chicken house, but I have straw under the roosts, they poop on the straw, I scrape the straw (with droppings on top) out.

hu.gif
My coop floor is frozen solid. It is a big pain in the rear. I have to take out as much as I can scrape off and put new shavings down every week.

I found that if I keep a good layer of shavings down and the poo just scoops right up. Frozen nuggets every morning. Some does manage to get stuck to the floor but most lays on the shavings and scoops right up. I would rather clean frozen poo than the gooey kind.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom