Problem with landlady...any help appreciated

Athena116699

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
First I am very sorry for ranting...
hmm.png
but I have a serious problem with my landlady. We moved to the country so I could have chickens and a small farm...my first time and being 61 prob my last chance. We lived in the city..and my husband worked with a fella that had some land about an hour away and then we rented it. I love it here very much, quiet and beautiful.
smile.png
But then he said his wife does all the business so we are trying to work with her...mind that my husband is now driving to work an hour each way, and he works evenings. I have had open heart surgery about a year ago..and diabetes.... we thought this would be wonderful and healthy. My husband just had cataract surgery and was off work for a month on the first one and then on his second, so our money, and credit is about non existent.
th.gif
Her husband knew all of this information and was trying to help us out. He told his wife to take it easy on us. Well to start she didn't really want to rent this place because it was her first place and she wants more money than agreed on. We don't have a riding lawn mower, couldn't get our furniture moved down here, I am still sleeping on the floor. We have no extra money at all...another friend he works with that lives in this area warned us about her...after it was too late. He also loaned us a push lawn mower...So we are mowing two acres with it...But very thankful for it. I was patient waiting for her to move her chickens from the coop so we could start ours. The coop is good solid building about 15 x15 or so. She had a long cord going out to it with a lamp for her chickens. It had a run connected to it also, which we were going to have to buy, she insisted and we agreed. We have been slow to get everything paid, they understood that at the beginning. She was coming here for the last two months plus, to feed her chickens, and she does anything else she wants. She brings stuff and takes stuff, all hers because they still have things here they haven't moved to their "new" home. She never visits...just comes on the property when ever she wants. I really let that be because they were giving us time for the money. But she really isn't nice at all!
idunno.gif
When we do have money for her it's never thank you..but always ...when you going to have the rest. She was even checking "my" mail box every day! This is going on the third month. They came here last week and her husband came to the door wanting to know when we will have money. SHE STILL HAD HER CHICKENS IN THE COOP! AND HER STUFF IN THE BARN AND HUT. So I told him my husband is about to have a heart attack worrying about getting everything on schedule. I mean she wanted first month, last month and deposit all in one month time. I told him we are trying, which he knew, we also have to pay car payment, water, electric etc...he was very nice about it and said he understands.
smile.png
Well a few days ago, they both came ...she never calls or ask or visits...just comes and does whatever she wants...grrrr
sad.png
I really think she doesn't tell her husband anything that shes up to. Anyway, I saw out the window she was THROWING her chickens in a cage on the back of their truck...I mean like anger management...by their legs, wings ...WOW...
ep.gif
Bet she didn't tell her husband we were going to pay for the run...I have been so jazzed about getting my chicks, been studying everything I can get my hands on...and reading a lot here on BYC. I'm not sure what happen but all of a sudden shes not coming here anymore, or checking the mailbox. When I went out to check whats up after they left I saw they had taken the run...and the lamp and the electric cord. I mean we have been paying for her electric for the coop...didn't mind... but now its gone.
th.gif
Oh yeah, she told me I couldn't have goats because they eat everything...then she bought goats and wants to SELL me milk....grrrr
he.gif
I want to have a self reliant farm. My life is in her hands..and there is nothing I can do about it. I would absolutely love if anyone has a small farm they would rent or sell about an hour or less from Kansas City. We are stuck now and it's only getting worse. I have such bad feelings about this whole deal that I just want out. But I still want my chickens and getting desperate.
hit.gif
Oh yes she said if we get any pets..I have two Shih Tzu's which is ok with her so far...but ANYTHING else she wants 50 dollars for each "pet". I wanted to get a cow...then decided on a goat for milk..but she put a quick stop to that. Please if anyone can help...any ideas....thank you for reading...and letting me rant on and on...
duc.gif

Did you sign a rental agreement? If not, then you're free to leave - even if its just to a small apartment to give you time to recoup a little. If you DID sign an agreement, it should be a standard lease agreement. Those usually have language that defines your rights as a tenant. I'd start with that document - if it exists, enforce it. If it doesn't, then move. It's not worth it to stay someplace that makes you miserable!

Really hoping it works out for you!

Thanks, she broke the agreement so I don't feel like moving would be a problem. Yet finding another place, and have my chickens, is another story...Was hoping we might be able to find someone willing to rent or sell in my area. Thank you again

Wow! How frustrating for you and your husband. I hope you are recovering well after your surgery. The last thing I would worry about is chickens the first thing I would do is get the he'll out of there. I sure hope there was no lease if there was she sounds like the type who will no matter what keep your deposit so I would be taking lots of pictures of the home and out building so no accusations can be made. I am sorry for your situation. All I can do for you is say a prayer and hope that everything turns out in your favor. Best of luck

I can't see things ever improving with this woman
Renting can be fine you shouldn't have to put up with all this stress
Put this mistake behind you and keep looking for somewhere else

Get away from that situation as fast as you can. Yes, she owns the property and is being charitable in letting you pay as soon as you can. But she is all business and unfriendly. Sounds like she never wanted to help you out and that her husband hoped that she would just go along with helping you - and now you're witnessing the anger of a wife at odds with her husband, and she seemed to be taking it out on the chickens too. I don't think she has the propriety needed to be a landlady for folks in your situation. Definitely not a suitable place for you and yours to be at. You need to let them know immediately that you are having second thoughts about this arrangement. That way if there is any shred of possibility that she may change her attitude, then you will see it sooner than later. However, if they really don't care to help keep you there, then at least they will know that you will be leaving as soon as you possibly can. Be honest with them that you feel the whole situation is awkward and not what you expected. I wish you the best and hope that you can find a place with the land and comfort needed for your farm life!

Thank you so much. I am really hoping we might be able to find another place, but that isn't as easy to do as to say. Money is a real problem. He is working over time and stressing over it, but still can only move so fast. At the moment we are broke just trying to pay her, electric and water...car payment etc...we already lost most of our stuff at the house we had because couldn't afford to move it...don't own a truck and no extra to offer anyone for gas to help...but I will survive..and get my chickens...and where ever I move or stay I will be ok. Thank you

As silly as it sounds check craigslist as many times a day as you can as well as realtor.com as many times a day as you can, small hobby farms for rent do come up on there every so often but they generally are snagged right away so you have to be fast... This is how we found our place and we didn't hesitate, jumped on it within an hour of it being listed, scheduled an appointment as soon as we could and made it very clear that we wanted the place ASAP... Now I understand that if you don't have money to jump it can complicate things, but many of these places are run down and if you offer to 'maintain' and 'fix' things up as if it was your own owned property instead of calling the landlord for everything that goes wrong, deals can be worked out...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom