PROBLEM!!

usarmy2304

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2015
Ok so I had 6 chickens in the coop for only 5 days and then today I just added 5 more chickens, but the original 6 started bullying the heck out of them! I separated them with a wire fence, but now when can they all live together ???

Usually about three to six weeks of looking and not touching does it. Most people I know do eight week so though. They seem to feel the extra time ensures it going well.

Space is important too, along with time...the more space, the better.
How big(feet by feet) is your coop and run?

Last edited:
my run is around 6x12 and the coop is like 5x4 I have the original 6 in there and then I made a temp small coop and run for the 5 new guys. The 5 new ones, 4 are small still but 1 is the same size and the original 6 - can I throw her in the mix yet or still wait a few weeks like the rest ???

A broadly interpreted "rule" that people refer to is four square feet of coop per large fowl and ten square feet of run per large fowl. This is intended to prevent bullying, fighting, and other issues between/among the birds. Each setup is different, each bird is different, each climate is different, etc., so your mileage may vary. ;)

Following the above "rule" you have room for five large breed chickens in the coop and seven of them in the run. For now, your young birds probably have enough room, but later on you will very possibly have an overcrowding problem with eleven chickens.

A broadly interpreted "rule" that people refer to is four square feet of coop per large fowl and ten square feet of run per large fowl. This is intended to prevent bullying, fighting, and other issues between/among the birds. Each setup is different, each bird is different, each climate is different, etc., so your mileage may vary. ;)

Following the above "rule" you have room for five large breed chickens in the coop and seven of them in the run. For now, your young birds probably have enough room, but later on you will very possibly have an overcrowding problem with eleven chickens.
Excellent points^^^
I totally agree.

Space is very important for healthy, calm living....integrating new birds takes extra space.

my run is around 6x12 and the coop is like 5x4 I have the original 6 in there and then I made a temp small coop and run for the 5 new guys. The 5 new ones, 4 are small still but 1 is the same size and the original 6 - can I throw her in the mix yet or still wait a few weeks like the rest ???
I would not do this, keep her with her 'flock'.
Integrating a single bird into a flock is harder than integrating 2 'flocks', 'groups', 'units'.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide out of line of sight and/or up and away from any bully birds.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best of mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

Back
Top Bottom