Problems with making sorghum syrup

Fluffnpuff

Songster
8 Years
Nov 6, 2012
To make a long story short I got into growing my own sorghum to make syrup plus my chickens love the seeds. I've made several batches this summer but my last batch came out weird. Unlike my previous batches that looked nearly identical to store bought, this last batch has a red tint to it. I can't figure out why.

I made it yesterday and it has a different taste too. This was made like all the others the only odd thing was that it was harvested to late imo. Health problems kept me from getting it all done last month. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated. Btw not even sure this should be here or the garden section.

I am so glad you posted this, I want to make Sorghum syrup..

I never have My Dad grew it when I was a kid.

I have no idea how to make it can you tell me?

Thanks

Well I found out what I did wrong. I boiled it too long. It's like hard candy now.

If you wanna make it I should warn you it's a long and laborious process, but here we go.

Step 1: Pick out syrup style sorghum that's appropriate for your climate and soil. Don't accidentally get a grain type. For example a good syrup type is http://www.southernexposure.com/sorghum-black-amber-cane-bulk-size-14-g-lb-p-601.html

Step 2: Plant it at the right time in summer, i'm in zone 6 so I plant the 2nd or 3rd week of May ideally.

Step 3: Let it grow until September. For me ideally I should harvest in mid September.

Step 4: Cut it down and remove the leaves. Also cut off the seed heads and give it to your chickens.

Step 5: Run it through a sorghum or sugar cane press. Here's the press I use https://www.amazon.com/BestEquip-Ex...&qid=1508090344&sr=8-1&keywords=sorghum+press

Step 6: You have to filter the bejesus out of that freshly pressed juice. The screen on that press looks fine but it is no where near enough. If plant debris gets into your sorghum it will rot making it go bad. I filter mine through 8-10 layers of cheese cloth bundled up.

Step 7: Boil the juice down to make syrup. The general principle is that you are boiling the water off the sugar content. During the boiling process you'll need to scoop off the green slime that rises to the top. For the length of the boiling and when to bottle it you'll need to watch videos of it as I obviously haven't mastered that yet.

Back
Top Bottom