Problems with Poults dying...

Cody Walker

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
I have been having problems with poults dying after a couple days of doing fine after hatch. Occasionally I have a poult that hatches and just never does well. I understand that this happens. but it seems that every batch has at least one or two poults, that do fine for a couple days, and then they start going down hill. they will start laying around with they're eyes closed. you can even pick them up and they are noticeably lighter in weight and they dont open their eyes. usually the next morning they are dead. Seems like my rio grandes are worse about it.

I start them all off on Grow gel plus b and then give them Purina Game bird 30% started and fresh water. keep them on pine shaving. Any ideas on whats going on and what i can do???

Sometimes it helps to put baby chicks in with new poults to teach them how to eat and drink. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you. You seem to be doing everything right.

I have been having problems with poults dying after a couple days of doing fine after hatch. Occasionally I have a poult that hatches and just never does well. I understand that this happens. but it seems that every batch has at least one or two poults, that do fine for a couple days, and then they start going down hill. they will start laying around with they're eyes closed. you can even pick them up and they are noticeably lighter in weight and they dont open their eyes. usually the next morning they are dead. Seems like my rio grandes are worse about it.

I start them all off on Grow gel plus b and then give them Purina Game bird 30% started and fresh water. keep them on pine shaving. Any ideas on whats going on and what i can do???
If this is happening regularly, I would look into how closely the parents are related and also to the feed the flock is getting prior to and during breeding and laying season. Try giving supplemental vitamins to the flock.

The parent stock is closely related due to me not being able to find any other pure stock thats not from hatchery stock. but thought that if there was a problem with that, they just wouldnt hatch. will try the vitamins in the parent flock though

The parent stock is closely related due to me not being able to find any other pure stock thats not from hatchery stock. but thought that if there was a problem with that, they just wouldnt hatch. will try the vitamins in the parent flock though
The parents being too closely related can bring out hidden recessive traits that can be either good or bad but all too often they can be bad including failure to thrive.

Keeping poults on shavings can be a problem because some will eat the shavings and cannot digest them unless they have grit. If you are going to keep them on shavings make sure they have appropriately sized grit available.

Back
Top Bottom