Processed Ameraucana roosters- interesting phenomenon arose.

Coops Dad

Crowing
May 10, 2020
too close to Waco, TX
I processed several Ameracauna roosters today and, instead of quartering them or setting them up as roasters, my wife wanted to make ground chicken for chili and nachos. We were using a KitchenAid mixer with a food grinder attachment, medium grind screen. After the first two, I got tired of peeling the tendons out and just started chucking semi frozen boneless parts into the grinder, tendons and all. I figured the tendon bits might add some texture and chewiness.

The processor started to sound like it was working with a load even when it wasn't, so I took it apart and found the tendons were wrapping around the shaft behind the cutter. Popped the thing apart, pried off the knot of tendons, threw them to Luna aka Murder Dog, put it back together and got back to work.

Murder Dog got the leg bones, raw, and my wife's horrible beagle got the wing bones, fat trimmings and other scraps.

Happiness.

What do you all do to get rid of the tendons, if you grind chicken?

I figured the tendon bits might add some texture and chewiness.

Ahh! I can't imagine the stuff your grinder couldn't handle would be any funner for teeth. 😬

When I'm preparing supermarket skinless boneless chicken breasts for cooking, I always remove every last bit of fat / veining / weird stuff they missed... you'd probably laugh 😄 or scream 😱

Ahh! I can't imagine the stuff your grinder couldn't handle would be any funner for teeth. 😬

When I'm preparing supermarket skinless boneless chicken breasts for cooking, I always remove every last bit of fat / veining / weird stuff they missed... you'd probably laugh 😄 or scream 😱
Or cry. The fat? You cut away the FAT??? :hit

Nooo! I even keep back all the excess fat from my Cornish X fatties to add to our ground roosters. I know it'll gross out some folks but I'm not above dipping bread into the roasting pan to stop up some chicken butter.
I'm totally with you on that--I was quoting Sour Roses. ;)

I know- I was commiserating with you on the whole "no fat" fad. Fat is good and good for you; God Himself asked for portions of the fat from the sacrifices. It's gotta be good!

When I fry my chicken the fat makes for a different texture I don't like so much. I'm fine with fat in general, lol.
The "no sugar" people are the ones that drive me batty. What do they think fruits and vegetables are made of?!?
To deny sugar is to deny existence. My Eclairs agree.

Cutting out tendons is painstaking, but it's the only way to get a good grind. That and 10% pork fat 😁.

My wife can pull them out somehow without a knife, but I've never found the touch and believe me I've tried. Like 100# of turkey and chicken sausage a year tried. Now I just have the idea of where the bad ones are in each cut and cut them out. They get frozen for dog food additions through the winter.

Back
Top Bottom