processed my first bird today.

Owingsia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Saluda VA
Well I did it. We had a rooster who was causing issues so we decoded to eat him. Not to bad of an experience. I am now looking into raising meat birds to feed the family better food. I'll know what's in it for sure. I joked with the wife during dinner, I said do you know what's in this chicken? Chicken! No hormones, no antibiotics, and no preservatives.

The first one is the hardest. You're right, you'll be hooked now. Home raised chicken is more flavorful, just like home-raised eggs taste better. I don't save any money, but I do feel better about the meat, and it definitely tastes better.

Yes, you can't just cook an older rooster like you would chicken from the store. They require a long, slow braise to be edible.

The white broilers many of us raise can be cooked like any chicken you'd get from the store. They are butchered around eight weeks old, and are very tender.

The MEaties are nice and tender and tasty as long as you allow them to rest for a couple of days after proccessing.

Did you let the Rooster go through rigor or just drop'em in the pot.

Any animal that is butchered should be allow to rest to get the best out of th meat.

The only time i don't is when when i grind for sausage or jerky ( no chickens yet )

I thought I'd have a problem when we got our first batch of meaties last year, but after cleaning their brooder and then coop for 10 weeks, I hated them so much I had no problem. Now we have 30, they are 2.5 weeks old and I have absolutely no attachment to them. I have 24 egg layers that I love like my kids and dogs. I give them hugs every day and when I lost one last week I cried like a child. Such a difference in disposition (and smell) makes all the difference to me.

Back
Top Bottom