Processed my roo :(

Cluckingtime

Songster
May 23, 2022
Central Maine
I had decided a bit ago that he needed to be processed as he was attacking myself, husband and had knocked down my 1 yr old grandson in aggressive so, that being said,

He was one year old light brahma.. Billy.. I did 90 percent of all of it as I feel if I am going to raise them and have a homestead I need to be able to. I have never intentionally killed an animal so I bawled my eyes out initially after. I raised him from a few days old. It can be hard and I knew that. Hubby did assist.. my pot wasn't large enough for scalding but we did manage. Unfortunately, I noticed the skin is a little bit darker yellow and peeling a tiny bit in spots, meaning, I scalded too much.. had I had a bigger pot that would not have happened. I kinda mutilated his body as I tried to follow a best you tube instructions I found to eviscerate him. Good news tho! I did not break the gall bladder! I'm not 100 percent sure I got all the lung tissue.

This was my first time and the body is whole and looks normal. I do have a question. With the skin over scalded can I still pack him and freeze him? Will that change anything about it? Was def a learning experience for sure and I thank Billy for his life for our consumption and for the next generation he has provided for us. We learned what we need for when this time comes again. Sad day but necessary. TIA

I had decided a bit ago that he needed to be processed as he was attacking myself, husband and had knocked down my 1 yr old grandson in aggressive so, that being said,

He was one year old light brahma.. Billy.. I did 90 percent of all of it as I feel if I am going to raise them and have a homestead I need to be able to. I have never intentionally killed an animal so I bawled my eyes out initially after. I raised him from a few days old. It can be hard and I knew that. Hubby did assist.. my pot wasn't large enough for scalding but we did manage. Unfortunately, I noticed the skin is a little bit darker yellow and peeling a tiny bit in spots, meaning, I scalded too much.. had I had a bigger pot that would not have happened. I kinda mutilated his body as I tried to follow a best you tube instructions I found to eviscerate him. Good news tho! I did not break the gall bladder! I'm not 100 percent sure I got all the lung tissue.

This was my first time and the body is whole and looks normal. I do have a question. With the skin over scalded can I still pack him and freeze him? Will that change anything about it? Was def a learning experience for sure and I thank Billy for his life for our consumption and for the next generation he has provided for us. We learned what we need for when this time comes again. Sad day but necessary. TIA
I’m sorry you had yo do what you did, but it was the responsible thing to do—kudos to you! The emotions you’re feeling is completely normal. In time you may not bawl your eyes out, but feeling somber, as opposed to nothing at all, is (IMHO) a necessary healthy response to taking an animals life. Plus, human aggression is not desirable especially when a child is involved.
As for processing, I too have over scalded. I shut off the gas on the pot once it reaches minimum temp then stir the water from bottom up. I use a candy thermometer that doesn’t get to the bottom of my pot so after stirring the temp will rise 1-2 degrees. The scalded skin isn’t pretty but does not impact storage or taste.

I'm not 100 percent sure I got all the lung tissue.
Doesn't matter. The lung tissue is not poisonous or anything like that. May people do not remove it.
With the skin over scalded can I still pack him and freeze him? Will that change anything about it?
That is purely cosmetic. Go ahead and freeze and eat as normal.

We had to process our one year old Production Red rooster for aggression also - I cried before, after, and during dispatch. Rescued and raised him from a chick, but couldn't have him attacking my son. I was sad when processing our meat birds, but even more so with this rooster. We still miss him. I think that's normal. He had the best life we could provide him, and was dispatched as quickly as possible.

I missed him being nice, but once he wasn't around I felt much safer going into the run to collect eggs, and it was so nice not to have to check over my shoulder all the time for fear he would attack. My daughters were thrilled because they could finally go in the run safely to collect eggs and share in the chicken chores with me and my son.

We skinned and pressure cooked him with chicken soup veggies, made BBQ chicken with the meat and pea soup with the broth and veggies. Delicious! I pressure cooked because I didn't want to waste anything, and knew we would not eat the meat if it was tough. Usually I roast at about 275F for an hour or two until the bird reaches 180F, but I wanted to be sure this one was tender.

We had to process our one year old Production Red rooster for aggression also - I cried before, after, and during dispatch. Rescued and raised him from a chick, but couldn't have him attacking my son. I was sad when processing our meat birds, but even more so with this rooster. We still miss him. I think that's normal. He had the best life we could provide him, and was dispatched as quickly as possible.

I missed him being nice, but once he wasn't around I felt much safer going into the run to collect eggs, and it was so nice not to have to check over my shoulder all the time for fear he would attack. My daughters were thrilled because they could finally go in the run safely to collect eggs and share in the chicken chores with me and my son.

We skinned and pressure cooked him with chicken soup veggies, made BBQ chicken with the meat and pea soup with the broth and veggies. Delicious! I pressure cooked because I didn't want to waste anything, and knew we would not eat the meat if it was tough. Usually I roast at about 275F for an hour or two until the bird reaches 180F, but I wanted to be sure this one was tender.
I have same situation... and know exactly how you feel. .. The culling is for tomorrow. I cant even look at him. He has been separated from his girls and I am just in a bundle of terrible feelings. I too used to be afraid akways looking over my shoulder but i still have feelings for him. He fathered a bunch of chicks we have now. He and a few of his rooster off- spring will be culled. I am trying so hard to focus on the good life we gave them but I am still sad. I hope this goes away..its my first time. Thank you for your post- at least I know I am not the only one

Way to go, fresh chicken is all good. I don't have a fancy setup to clean birds, I just boil some water to about 130f - 170f, put the bird in a 5 gal. bucket and pour the water over it, use a handle or something to dunk the bird up and down in the bucket for about 30-40 seconds and wallah your ready to pluck.

Back
Top Bottom