Processing Cornish X: A First Timer's Overview/Experience (pic heavy, only 1 "graphic")

What is your relationship to processing?

• Do all my own

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Someone in my family does it

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Never have but want to

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Never have never will

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Bring them to a butcher

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
Right on! Congrats! Well thought out and recorded. Great example of a backyard butchering.

Not necessarily of the utmost importance, but, personally, I like to take the organs out all at once after loosening the crop so they stay intact. With the bird on it's back and after making the initial cavity incision, if you reach way up into the top of the bird going above the gizzard and along the rib cage and sort of loosen all those connections starting from the top and following the ribs with your fingers ending up at the back bone (where the strongest connections are) and then doing the other side, after that you can basically grab all the organs in one hand and plop it all out on the table (not including the lungs generally, but sometimes they come out too if you get it just right), it's at that point when I remove the vent by cutting it out with the last bit of intestine in my hand to make sure I don't cut it. It really ensures a clean evisceration to keep it intact while taking it all out.

Like molpet said, 185F might have been a little hot for the scald water and might have been the reason the breast tore. I try not to let it go above 150F.

:thumbsup
Thanks so much for the tip! Might have to try that next time.

I don't think you said what you did with the feet?

They make the BEST stock! (You have to "take their socks off" -- scalding them then peeling off the outer cuticle down to the toes where you sort of pinch off the toenails).

My method of making stock is to dump whatever I am making stock out of into my large, oval crockpot late in the evening, cover with water, let it run all night on low, turn it off when I wake up, then do all the straining, etc. midday or early afternoon after it cools.

Stock made with chicken feet sets up so stiff that you can literally cut with with a knife. You actually have to dilute it to cook rice in it. :)
Oh yeah!! Totally forgot to add that the feet and neck went into the freezer for stock! Thanks for the recipe. Sounds super easy!

Oh yeah!! Totally forgot to add that the feet and neck went into the freezer for stock! Thanks for the recipe. Sounds super easy!

It's more of a method than a defined recipe. :)

Assorted chicken parts to mostly fill the crockpot, an onion, maybe a carrot or two and a stalk or two of celery (good use for limp but not spoiled veggies), and time.

I don't season the stock with salt, pepper, herbs, etc. until I'm ready to make the recipe so that it is more flexible as an ingredient.

Good job and good write-up. I feel like I'm talking to my toddler grandson, good job, good job. But with you I mean it.

I use poultry shears for some of the cuts to keep from dulling my knife. I part it as I butcher so I make more cuts than you do but for your method for the feet and neck. On the feet I use a knife to cut the skin so I can break it back and find the joint better, but the shears for the final cut.

I use a hose and spray for cleaning, not bowls of water to wash my hands in. I typically do five to seven at a time, your wash water may get dirty. I use a lot of water.

Good job and good write-up. I feel like I'm talking to my toddler grandson, good job, good job. But with you I mean it.

I use poultry shears for some of the cuts to keep from dulling my knife. I part it as I butcher so I make more cuts than you do but for your method for the feet and neck. On the feet I use a knife to cut the skin so I can break it back and find the joint better, but the shears for the final cut.

I use a hose and spray for cleaning, not bowls of water to wash my hands in. I typically do five to seven at a time, your wash water may get dirty. I use a lot of water.
Thanks for the props! Really appreciate it. Shears are not a bad idea, and I actually have a pair. For the feet and neck, I basically cut the muscles around the bone/joint, and then twisted and pulled to detach the actual bone. Once all the muscle and stuff was gone, the bone popped out easily. Shears would be quicker though, and I am definitely looking to shave some time off.
I also used a hose to clean my hands. The buckets were to dunk the birds in for rinsing after plucking. The bowl was for my liver. :) Next time I will just put the offal in the bowl and put the bowl in the cooler. I can see my buckets needing changing out if I did a lot of birds, Definitely something to keep an eye one. Thanks for the insight!!

Going to be butchering three more on friday. These I will be parting out at least 2. I'm interested to try the butchering aspect of this process! Also my poultry bags arrived today right on schedule. There was a handwritten thank you note and the bags seem as advertised. Looking forward to trying them out!

Thanks for the props! Really appreciate it. Shears are not a bad idea, and I actually have a pair. For the feet and neck, I basically cut the muscles around the bone/joint, and then twisted and pulled to detach the actual bone. Once all the muscle and stuff was gone, the bone popped out easily. Shears would be quicker though, and I am definitely looking to shave some time off.
I also used a hose to clean my hands. The buckets were to dunk the birds in for rinsing after plucking. The bowl was for my liver. :) Next time I will just put the offal in the bowl and put the bowl in the cooler. I can see my buckets needing changing out if I did a lot of birds, Definitely something to keep an eye one. Thanks for the insight!!
If you have running water, put the hose in your cooling/rinsing bucket and let it just overflow onto the lawn -- or the woods in your photo could use some more water, right? Cool water flowing over the cooling, plucked, but not yet cleaned chickens will keep them cooler and the water cleaner.

If you have running water, put the hose in your cooling/rinsing bucket and let it just overflow onto the lawn -- or the woods in your photo could use some more water, right? Cool water flowing over the cooling, plucked, but not yet cleaned chickens will keep them cooler and the water cleaner.
Not a bad idea, as I do have running water through my well pump. Area may get a little swampy after a while. I could always put the bucket a bit further away to remedy that. Appreciate the thought!

Back
Top Bottom